1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

SuitBux

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Alma, if you were an editor/reporter, what "contrarian" pieces would you pitch to the Athletic, or any sports section? As far as I can tell, the "big" national think pieces seem to swirl around hiring practices in sports, sexual abuse in sports, racism in sports, financial abuse/inequity in sports. All progressive angles, I guess?
    So what are the "conservative" angles we're missing? What's the other side to this groupthink you mention? I'm asking sincerely.

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

So you’re telling me overpaying a whole buncha people off the street to write about whatever they want, whenever they want, however often or as infrequent as they want, with little to no oversight, is.....NOT a good business model?

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

You know, sports haven't been played since March. That might be an issue

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think the "financial abuse/equity" conversation is slightly more complex, ideologically and practically, than you're making it there. But there isn't any question where almost all sports journalists land on that issue.

For many years, the "villainous NFL vs. saintly NBA" angle was overplayed.

In some ways, it's just a tone, and a posture on social media, and it gets into the work itself. Not terribly different from the general bent of the media itself.

Liut likes this.
  6. gingerbread

That never happened. You're making stuff up.

7. gingerbread

So no specific ideas/pitches, other than a deeper look into the "villainous NFL vs. saintly NBA" angle?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They overhired to some degree. Some of the markets they're in were saturated (or limited). The MMA beat having that many folks, for example.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And we knew about two days after the shit hit the fan that sports wouldn't be played for many months. Alma is probably right, this timing is probably a fiscal year thing. But they could have done that in March, too.

10. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Not to speak for Alma but there are lots of contrarian story lines out there.

Just in the past 48 hours, a column about how Drew Brees might not be the reincarnation of Satan would be interesting.

Liut, BTExpress and cake in the rain like this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

They can curse too though. Shit fuck bitch!

Screwball and Sports Barf like this.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey jackass, not a real good time to be a jackass.

Forty-six people lost their jobs, which sucks no matter where it happens. That alone should be met with at least a modicum of restraint when it comes to being an ass.
    This one is worse than most to me because these were my colleagues and friends, people who were doing great work.

You've had a burr up your miserable butt about The Athletic for ages. It shows in your posting history. Not sure why but I'd bet what little I own on you being rejected somewhere along the line.

And maybe look past your hatred of the site for a moment and see LOTS OF BUSINESSES are having issues right now, many of them not related to media. Lots and lots and lots of people out of work.

Your post here shows you have no clue about how we're structured or how we operate. You just saw 46 people losing their jobs as a way to sneak in another cheap shot.

You are the worst of the worst.

I normally don't post on threads about places where I work but I couldn't let this pass. As I've said on social media, I love working at The Athletic. The best place I've ever worked, even with today's news. And with that, I'm out.

Draft saved Draft deleted