1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

I like those people too. But I really like the ones who understand that a promotion from reporter to columnist does not mean you stop reporting.

Liut likes this.
  2. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

Perhaps the people with traditional mindsets aren’t seen as potential consumers because they can barely work a computer. I’m half joking.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Plenty of them still make it into the comments, and they quite literally paid to be there.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the Athletic is the Gene Bartow of journalism. Bartow was a fine coach who struggled to succeed John Wooden. The Athletic is struggling to succeed SI.

SI was phenomenal, probably the best magazine in the United States from the period of 1960-2000. How many times did you read something in SI and say "Holy Christ, that was good". The folks at the Athletic don't have the talent of DeFord, Jenkins, Smith et.al. They are good at their jobs. The Athletic reads like a really good, but not great, sports section of a major metropolitan paper in the 90's.

I subscribe to it because of the breadth, not the quality of their coverage. If I want to find out why the Sacramento Kings are losing lots of games I check in with Jason Jones who breaks down their matador defense. No one else besides the Athletic provides that for so may teams in an accessible format.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Lol. Of course not... Because it's not a fact.

6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Man, the amount of condescension in this post is insane. I'm not really sure how you got brainwashed into thinking all this, but you should keep this same energy with people in your newsroom and see how it goes.

7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Also, Chad, I'm a little confused here. Are you working in the business or not?

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But back in the day when newspapers more widely read I think the columnists gave the section a voice. That voice may not have swayed public opinion but it was at least recognized.

I think the biggest reason that columnists are losing that recognition is, of course. the general decline of newspapers. But I also think that the beat writers on the most important local teams are more likely to express many of the opinions that in years past only the columnist was allowed to write. Which is a good thing. Because far to many columnists today may be good writers but do not report. They turn out a lot of potato chip columns. Tasty but of no nutritional value.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  9. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

Got a full-time job in the business after my layoff, left that job recently for a job with more consistent hours (family reasons). But am still doing some contract work for the paper I just left. Hoping the business evolves so I can get back into it full-time when my kids are older.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Talk about not accepting reality

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Lancey-

I have seen ample evidence of a strident/shitty columnist chasing away readers rather than attracting them.

Jay Mariotti did not need to be a columnist. His personality was bad and that came out in the writing - every day.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Diggin' the avatar, Dude.

Octave likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted