1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jun 5, 2020.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

With what money? Tech bros ain't gonna sell low until they have no choice. I cringed at the thought of The Maven fuckers buying it, but they'll probably be toast before long. My guess is ESPN or Fox swoops in low at some point, but I doubt that's anytime soon. Maybe next year when some of the original contracts begin expiring?

Fredrick likes this.
  2. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I don't really give two shits about Jay Mariotti, one way or the other, but day-um ... I love what you wrote.

sgreenwell and SixToe like this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

To keep up on Vanderbilt sports...

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I didn't know they put pamphlets online these days.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Maven doesn't own SI. They license the name.

As for The Athletic being sold, presumably they still have a bunch of the cash they raised, which presumably buys them time still. If they tried to sell what they have now, they are doing it from a position of extreme weakness, which would give a potential buyer all of the leverage. Because the investors in the Athletic paid so richly for their stakes, and people are usually want to admit they made a mistake, they are likely not going sell at a huge loss yet. That often doesn't happen until there is no other choice. The flip side of that, also, is what you said. The most obvious potential buyers are all struggling right now, can't afford more debt if that is how they were going to finance an acquisition. ... and even if they have cash, with all of the uncertainty, might have trouble justifying even a "bargain" priced purchase right now (if they could get that bargain price).

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I feel for the Titans guy. I understanding whacking MMA coverage. They must have overestimated interest. But if you're whacked and your beat is clearly of interest, it's got to be hard not to take it as a repudiation of your work. And I have a hard time believing his work was worthy of his execution.
    It's not a good look, and it's probably highly unjust.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I would hope not. But the outcry from viewers when Wimbledon semifinals pre-empted "First Take" a few years ago was downright depressing.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does the Athletic still employ a Vanderbilt beat writer? What about a Predators writer?

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don't know bc I let my subscription expire. But this offer that came today might entice me to re-up:

upload_2020-6-12_10-0-6.png

10. azbjn9101

azbjn9101 New Member

Honestly, I found this story to be pretty spot-on. Feelings about Mariotti and his big-name columnist idea aside - I definitely wouldn't have went that route - it was a reasoned take. I think his personal experiences with the Athletic people made it a little whiny, but whatever. I've always struggled with how to feel about it. I have acquaintances there who I want to succeed but I've grown tired of the "holier and hipper than thou" approach that seems to permeate from the place. The comments about newspapers bleeding out wasn't a good look, but you know what? They should think that way. And I wouldn't blame anybody on this side for saying they want the Athletic to fall flat on its face. The operation seems cliquish from the outside and capitalizing on the kind of no-substance stuff that we're always saying we want to get rid of. The difference is that the Athletic dresses it up with over-writing, artsy headlines and social media presence with sharing. The papers go the click-bait route.

That being said, there are some incredibly talented writers and reporters there. The Athletic has made huge in roads in the industry. No idea if it's sustainable and it wouldn't surprise me if it's a boom or bust kinda thing. Boom, it takes over for once and all - I felt they were headed that way until the recent reductions, where they'd become an essential one-stop shop for sports fans - bust, the cuts just keep coming.

11. azbjn9101

azbjn9101 New Member

Also, the whole thing with CAA makes my skin crawl.

12. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

Why would anyone want it to fall flat on its face? Newspapers are already doing a great job of that. Do we just want the whole profession to cease to exist? I'm rooting for any business that is going to put real money behind trying something new and investing in talented people. It's our only hope.

Draft saved Draft deleted