1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

It certainly creates brand awareness, the chief goal of most advertising.

2. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Yes and no. They could probably stand to be a little more opaque about it. Tweeting that every story by their colleagues is "great, check it out!" is disingenuous and a little like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Click on a few "great" stories that turn about to be run-of-the-mill coverage and eventually you're not going to click anymore.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Writer likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Mentioned earlier in the thread that it was going to be tough for The Sports Capitol to survive in DC once the Athletic decided it was going to move in ...

So apparently The Sports Capitol has met its end, but there's a nice ending to the story, as all three of the reporters -- Brian McNally, Ben Standig and Todd Dybas -- were all hired by NBC Sports Washington. Glad they landed on their feet.

Closing time: A goodbye and big thank you

Tweener likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Another $40 million in funding (deep in the list, at No. 8)?

1 big thing ... Exclusive: Trump to terminate birthright citizenship

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Where’s Ragu? I’d like to see his insight on this.

6. Writer

Writer Member

I have been a big supporter of The Athletic, but lately I've doubted that this would work. This new round of funding, along with questionable hires, has me even skeptical.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Saw this article this morning, was looking for added insight.

Interesting that The Chernin Group -- which bought Barstool -- is involved. That would seem to be a good sign for them.

But after reading "Bad Blood" -- the book about Theranos -- I am wary of valuations.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why?

lcjjdnh likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has anyone left The Athletic for somewhere else at this point? I don't know at what point it becomes self-sustaining. I kind of expect it will eventually license it's content out to newspapers allowing them to further gut their staffs and improve their product.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I'm an admitted dope on such things, but isn't getting more money from investors a good thing?

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He knows a helluva lot more about VC than I do.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He’s been spot on when it comes to the stock market over the last ten years.

Draft saved Draft deleted