1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I’ve been getting a ton of ads for $2.49/mo (50 percent off). I clicked on the link in the site’s footer for “get 20 percent off” and then went away from the page. I’ll get the ads served on other sites. If you’re looking for a discount, here you go.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Are you paying monthly or was it just one lump sum of $60?

There’s so much inertia with subscriptions — ok, maybe not our print product anymore, but for the most part. If you’re subscribed to something, odds are you’ll renew. I don’t use the At-Bat app all that much, but the 10 times a year I listen to an out-of-market broadcast I know it’s there.

3. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I did the lump sum.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

My only complaint about the Athletic is all their writers re-tweeting each other into my timeline, telling me how awesome every story is.

Uncle! lol

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

So many people do this lol

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It's the new closed system, like ESPN, with its TV, radio, podcast and dot.com operations all promoting each other. Four out of five times I see an Athletic story linked or touted on Twitter, it's by someone from the Athletic. I get the branding, but it feels more like advertising than genuine, "this is great" referral.

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

It’s not so much the act of telling us all how awesome it is, it’s the content they choose to promote and act like it’s the 95 Theses. Like dude, your piece on a locker room farting contest bringing the team together is not as good as you think it is. And they’ll tweet it like “One room. Two men. A fart contest, and how it brought together Team Gas and turned around the season” with like a bunch of emojis and shit. God you would think James Joyce ran social for these nitwits

cake in the rain likes this.
  8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

This. There are seven or eight full-time writers in my market. Only two of them have ever written something I would consider great, and certainly not every story they wrote hit that mark. The others, I hope they got on the cheap, and I certainly won’t pay a premium to read their staff.

But they all sure do like to tweet about how great all of each other’s stories are.

Tweener likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's 'cause it IS advertising.

MNgremlin likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I was one of the bosses at The Athletic, hiring people in part on their Twitter base, I'd want them doing this if not flat-out demanding it. And isn't that what Twitter is anyway? 95 percent touts and snark, 5 percent useful information.

Fredrick and MNgremlin like this.
  11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Twitter doesn't bring much traffic though.

12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Of course. And this is especially the case with subscription content, like The Athletic. But the idea is that if you get enough big names with large followings saying how great the content is, maybe it will help sell subscriptions.

Draft saved Draft deleted