1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

He probably has a subscription and hate-reads it like the damn good American he or she is.

2. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

"Grow a little more every day" lol. You're cute. And maybe if BSJ gets good grades on its report card this first semester of middle school Mom will buy them a copy of Fortnite.

Listen, you're entitled to your own disgruntled opinion about The Athletic. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that Bedard would be ok with 10,000 subscribers for BSJ. You’d figure he would’ve gotten there already, though.

4. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

He's practically at 9k. Let's say he gets to 10 reasonably soon. 10,000 subscribers to a from-scratch startup in less than a year? I'd say that's pretty damn good. Their subscription price is $34.99 a year. Let's say they're getting the 10k at that price (some less, some more): that's 350k per year. I think that pays for his and three or four other staffers. That doesn't count any advertiser/sponsor money. They're doing fine. And, doing fine without a bunch of cheap VC money from a couple of frat bros. @Ice9 is the one who sounds a bit bitter.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

This just pisses me off.

You finally come in this thread and post and this is it?

Quit screwing around and tell us your company parking privileges. Open bar or drink tickets at company parties? Do you get off the regular holidays, or an expanded list? Speaking of, how much vacation can you carry over? How many Athletic T-shirts did you get, and did you have to buy them? Are your business cards up to snuff?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Some things just can't be shared with those who don't know the secret handshake.
    However, I will answer the t-shirt question: two. Plus a hat. And a hoodie.

Old Time Hockey, MNgremlin and Pilot like this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lol

wicked likes this.
  8. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

And if I had wheels I'd be a wagon. Again, you're not entitled to your own facts. When you're a startup, 314k (what roughly 9k nets you at that price) vs 350k is a significant difference. Not to mention all the other benefits and the travel expenses that add up.

Do me a favor one time and say something critical about The Athletic without resorting to sophomoric rhetoric. Try economics.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

That guy has to be a multi-millionaire. BSJ probably will buy The Athletic just to let it fold.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He's been at it for over a year, 14 months just about. At the recent rate of growth it will take BSJ another 5 or 6 months to get to 10k.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

No, no no. BSJ is great. The Athletic sucks.

Very Truly Yours.

Reddy235

12. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Hearing the Athletic made another hire or two on the NHL front.

(No, it's not Reddy235)

JC and LongTimeListener like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted