1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

BSJ is just under 10,000 subscribers 14 months in. I cannot find the source but I believe this figure is below the hoped for projections.

2. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the front page, right hand corner as of this very moment says "8,950 members, 101 lifetime"

3. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

But they grow a little more every day. I guarantee you not many Athletic cities have more than 10k subscribers

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Has anybody on this board ever hated anything as much as Reddy hates The Athletic?

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I bet most of the ones that have been up and running more than a year have at least 10K.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Spinach

Tweener and HanSenSE like this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Old Tony and Making a Murderer?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nah, I don't think so.

Maybe Ragu and The Fed. But I'm going with Reddy and The Athletic.

9. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

I don’t hate them at all. Just have extreme doubts about their business model. And I debate about it. Which, you know, I thought was what happened on message boards

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I transpo'ed the '8' and '9' in my head.
    Chicago has 30k according to that Slate article. And BSJ in a larger market is behind DK's growth rate. (Although the situation with the local papers makes a pure market size comparison incomplete.)

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I try to stay off threads that involve where I work but I have to weigh in here.
    Reddy, you hate us. Hey, that's your right. But let's not try to paint your passion as anything but hate. Everyone has access to your posting history. You joined us in April (about a week before I started at The Athletic). About 95 percent of your posts are on this thread. You rip not only the business model but the quality of our work. If you've said one good thing about The Athletic, I missed it.
    Again, everyone is entitled to an opinion and you have as much right to hate us as others do to love us.
    Just be honest about it, eh?

Carry on.

Seth1710, HanSenSE, SoloFlyer and 9 others like this.
  12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

What small markets? Kansa City? Cleveland? Houston?

Draft saved Draft deleted