1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

2. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

That was really good, and so true. Most of the big suits are laughing at the Athletic's chances. In this case, under that lens, I DO root for the Athletic.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Regardless of the benefits - I imagine the chance to join a new venture that is growing versus staying where you at and face layoffs at any time...really not a choice.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Do they offer Harvard Pilgrim? I would settle for Blue Cross Blue Shield

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Athletic doesn't have to light the world on fire. It has to sell a certain number of subscriptions and have a certain number of those subscriptions renew regularly. That's it.

And "driving the conversation" isn't a metric, infact it's usually crap. Like when my local Gannett paper tells readers at the end of a story to "continue the conversation on Facebook!" How much money are they getting from that?

wicked and LongTimeListener like this.
  6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Little to none after Facebook gobbled up the majority of the ad revenue. Why newspapers still think they can make money using social media --Twitter, Facebook and Instagram -- is beyond me.

Fredrick likes this.
  7. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I'm not going anywhere. Sorry.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Obama Care not good enough?

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it fighting back. We went behind a paywall in January at $11.99, well before The Athletic came to Denver, and I had been fighting to get a sports-only subscription rate from Day 1. Took nine months, but it finally happened and I'll take it. We soft-launched it Friday and didn't promote it until yesterday and it's already off to a fantastic start (if we weren't a privately owned company, I'd be happy sharing exact numbers, but that's no the case. Even our executive editor wanted to publicly tout our digital subscription numbers, but that got squashed by higher ups. womp womp.)

You also have to consider with newspapers doing sports-only subscriptions that they're offering a lot of things The Athletic isn't, just like The Athletic is offering some things newspapers aren't -- and both sides have a lot of value, in my opinion. The missions aren't the same.

Pilot likes this.
  10. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Enjoy the honeymoon period. The numbers are always good at first, then tail off big time. Or so I'm told.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What can newspapers offer that the athletic can’t?

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

It’s not that The Athletic can’t, but at least in the markets I follow, they’re light on the news. Some phenomenal features and they’re and deep looks at teams, but they don’t care about much about the day to day, and that’s perfectly fine. Breaking news, columns and daily beat work drive a lot of subscriptions. I’ve spoken editors at papers across the country who’ve seen the same thing. From what I’ve seen, newspapers still provide more all-encompassing coverage of major pro teams, while The Athletic is better at going deep with long features and super in-depth looks at certain topics. The Athletic is able to do that because it doesn’t have a daily print hole to fill (yuck) and doesn’t need to quickly post breaking news items.

The Athletic and newspapers provide quality coverage, but from extremely different approaches. Our missions aren’t the same and readers should know hat.

playthrough, Tweener and JC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted