1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I mean, Jesus Christ. We gonna ask if they get their parking validated too? None of our business what their benefits are.

MNgremlin likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sure it is. It may not be our business what they are paying X employee or Y employee, but companies attract employees by touting their benefits.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know a few people who went to The Athletic.

I don't know a single one who made himself worse off financially by doing so.

I don't know of a field other than journalism where people would even be considering the possibility that their colleagues and friends were joining a new venture without any financial incentive to do so.

This conversation is really getting strange.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Then go post on GlassDoor

5. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

You're on a journalism forum with other journalists. The Athletic poached a bunch of sports writers all over the country. Of course we're interested in benefits and other details about the company.

Fredrick likes this.
  8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Fredrick the voice of reason says this is how people think of the Athletic. Sports writers and copy editors: They like it. Why wouldn't they? It pays more than newspapers and is a great landing spot. It's a way to beat the layoff artists, get the hell out before shown the door. Midlevel suits: Of course they dislike The Athletic because it's more work for them — re-staffing the beats, having to replace people. Highest level suits with the boats, snowmobiles and 3 vacation homes all over the world: They don't really care either way, in fact they are pleased when The Athletic does their work for them in hiring their veteran, highly paid reporters. The Athletic does the laying off work for the newspaper.
    There's no reason to wish the Athletic anything but success. Sports writers who have been around the block have either been laid off or seen friends laid off and treated horribly the last 20 years or so. Layoff after layoff. Mid-level suits can hate on the Athletic all they want; normal reporters/copy editors should be supporting it. What the hell has a newspaper done for its employees except freeze salaries, reduce benefits, force furloughs, lay off people all these years? Hail to the Athletic!
    All that said, it doesn't mean The Athletic will succeed. Fredrick's conclusion: It will be sold at some point and the buyer will immediately play the layoff game. When? Who knows.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I hear you. I do not think Reddy235 sees Frederick's point there though.

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Right because we're all dying to know if The Athletic matches up to 6 percent on 401k

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It behooves everybody in an industry to disclose what they make and what their benefits are. There’s a reason employers don’t want people sharing this.

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Again, it's curiosity. This is a thread about The Athletic. Please leave if this bothers you that much.

Draft saved Draft deleted