1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Because at least its TWO years.

2. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Writing thumbsucker features on players? Sorry, no thanks. I'd like to think I have a little more ambition than that. That's what the Athletic has been - feelgood, thumbsucker features with no real impact on anything. Remember when sports staffs had some bite to them?

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I’d like to see you do better. I’m sure you’ve won Pulitzers for your work covering Hickory High girls soccer

4. Golfswing13

Golfswing13 New Member

Saw a few writers from The Athletic tweet this with the latest discount offer.

They are touting after latest expansion:

* 38 markets
    * 250+ full-time writers
    * 40+ editors
    * 750 pieces of content per week

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I feel bad that I continue to be skeptical about the long-term outlook for The Athletic. I just keep seeing The National running through my head.

As The Crow Flies likes this.
  6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

1. None of the numbers make any sense and watching sportswriters try to "Well actually..." explain that they do is getting a little embarrassing.
    2. How they will continue to get venture capital money is a mystery. God bless, but this is not Netflix.
    3. I fear the day the tech bros realize they have to cut a lot of staff they hired just to make payroll.
    4. I'm still rooting for it to succeed.
    5. Questioning how it doesn't add up does not mean you are a dying newspaper dinosaur who hates technology and might in fact mean you have the healthy skepticism of a journalist.

All of these things can be true.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I am also rooting like hell for it. I know too many good people still in the business to hope it crashes and burns. The industry needs a venture like this to succeed.

I just have little belief that it will.

8. DanOregon

Say what you want about The National - it boosted the careers of a lot of writers.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Because there was still someplace to go after it folded.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. DanOregon

I just know that writers who were working beats before the National were suddenly writing daily columns after.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's great. I'm just saying there aren't nearly as many columnist gigs around these days.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm rooting like hell for it too, as a subscriber and, like everyone else, knowing plenty of folks there.

I'm curious about what the company is spending on local advertising. To get readers, don't you have to find them on their turf? I'm in Indianapolis and now that the site has an Indy section, I'll be curious if I spot any advertising around town, on TV/radio, or in stadiums. There was a story this morning in the Indianapolis Business Journal about the new venture and I know Stephen Holder will continue to do local radio interviews and get the name out there, but I'm thinking you have to have some kind of local media blitz for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted