1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Periwinkle Blues

Periwinkle Blues New Member

I don't know, one of those people has been covering the team for like 15 years and the other doesn't understand the sport so if I'm asked to pay $8 a month for stuff I know who I'd pick.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I have always liked Tarik, and I'll respectfully disagree on Isabelle. Tarik certainly knows the sport better than she does, but to say she doesn't understand it is hyperbole.

3. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Im surprised at that opinion, Periwinkle.

I don't know the extent of Isabelle's Xs-and-Os knowledge, but I do think she's got an excellent grasp of that organization. It's not an easy team to cover...the owner and president are very demanding...the coach and GM's relationship devolved...the coaching staff didn't get along...and it is quite a mix of personalities in the room. Lots of diverse backgrounds.

One of the reasons she got the job was she can converse with the Russians, which strikes me as a smart move. I thought their fans were extremely well-served by the team's reporters (Isabelle among them) before and after they won.

Cosmo likes this.
  6. Writer

Writer Member

All I know is that they should be hiring more people for college football. I think that's a market this are missing out on right now.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I got to see Isabelle on the front lines quite a bit and I am absolutely on board with this. Saying she doesn't understand the sport reeks of ignorance.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Seems like they are relying on the big names (Mandel, Feldman) to carry the coverage.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hmm. The Athletic has no Phoenix Suns or ASU writers.

The Arizona Republic just posted job openings for both of those positions.

As an Athletic subscriber who would like to read Suns coverage, that would be a disappointing hire.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Who was covering the Suns? Was Metcalf still on ASU?

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Scott Bordow on the Suns. Their coverage on major events -- like the Bledsoe trade saga and the coaching search -- has mostly consisted of links to blogs. It's been incredibly poor.

I think Metcalf was still on ASU.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Glad someone said it. Thanks, EF.

Shared a few press boxes back in the day. As thoughtful, thorough and comprehensive as they come.

Try again.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted