1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Nashville announced this morning. DC next month

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it's a very fair reference in terms of how newspapers weren't willing to evolve (though I'm not entirely sure what The Athletic is offering that newspapers are not, other than better salaries and perhaps a happier work environment). There was a time when all Simmons wanted was a job as a columnist at The Globe or the Herald, and while that wasn't in the cards at age 25, it is fair to think that a smart sports editor could have said "You know what? I see the writing you've been doing for Digital City Boston and I want you to do that on our website." It wasn't about getting Ewing Theory in the paper, it was about speaking the language of readers who where not 50. It's clear there was an audience for it. Almost every newspaper has a blogger now, trying to speak to a different audience who isn't the venerated columnist of 20 years. The fact that John Walsh could see that in Simmons and no newspaper editor could does say a lot about newspapers. It was a great stroke of luck for Simmons.

Now, newspapers are in trouble for a lot of reasons not related to the quality of their content. Even if they'd hired 100 Bill Simmonses I don't know that it would have made financial difference once classifieds went away. But it's fair to point out how resistant to change they were, and Simmons is a fair example of that.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  3. Elliotte Friedman

DD,

You're a Washington-area guy. Based on your previous post, what do you think of Dan Steinberg giving up the Bog for editing? I think the section is missing that voice.

4. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

Indianapolis, New Orleans, North Carolina and Miami as well.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think, yes, it's missing his voice, as any section would. He's the best at what he does. I also think the job was wearing him out and making him miserable and he needed a break. For his mental health, I totally support it. I suspect he be back eventually.

6. Elliotte Friedman

I didn't know that. Makes things clearer, for sure.

I thought he did an excellent job. Very impressive.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Can't see how the Sports Capitol will survive if the Athletic is in DC.

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Why? What are they gonna cover besides Preds and Vols? Nobody cares about the Titans in Nashville

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Stephen Holder just announced he's going to cover the Colts at The Athletic.

Stephen Holder: Bringing high-level Colts coverage for...

Former Miami Herald sports editor Jorge Rojas has been named ME for all of Florida (South Florida, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando).

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

The APSE Twitter feed has been peppered with retweeted announcements (amidst the old-school front pages). It's interesting, since few of the reporters are members... and I'm not sure The Athletic has even applied yet.

APSE (@APSE_sportmedia) | Twitter

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow, lots of hiring, to say the least. Congrats to all.

12. nickp

nickp Active Member

I’m extremely curious to see who The Athletic has lined up for DC

Draft saved Draft deleted