1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Maybe $200 is a bit high, but playthrough's idea is a good one.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

See, these are very good reasons this site might work. The Athletic is the first site pretty much saying fxxk you to the modern suits and their misguided takes on the future of newspapers. The Athletic cares about BIG NAME writers, the ones newspapers have discarded like garbage in a trash bin. The Athletic cares about the byline, cares about the work, not so much clickbait. They are banking on comments such as the ones in this post. Good for the Athletic to value name writers. YES THEY MATTER. No matter what the newspaper suits say about that.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I admire the effort and the idea. Love many of the writers they have hired.

Now, will they do the same with editors?

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

They hired Emma Span from SI as their baseball editor.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

In general, they have hired very few editors -- they have either player-coaches, it seems, or self-directed writers.

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Never been fond of the writers can edit themselves model. They can’t. They’re not perfect. They want to be the digital sports page, they need to have front-line editors fact checking among other things.

playthrough, matt_garth and Tweener like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Who’s funding it?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Angel investors? They invest in 10 things, 1 hits...that’s how it’s done.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not angels. Venture capital firms. There are a a dozen and a half venture capital funds that have forked over money to the Athletic.

Most of those firms aren't looking for one return on investment out of 10. Ideally, they are trying to get a ROI on everything they seed. It's like everything else. They only attract money if they are successful.

The reality is that traditionally, VC has been a crummy business. Over the last several decades, Venture Capital Funds have barely broken even in the aggregate. Equity obtained via broad stock market investing has way outperformed that style of investing, for example.

The last half dozen years or so have kind of skewed how people look at these things. We are in an everything bubble due to yields having been suppressed globally for the last decade (so that real rates are negative globally -- robbing savers to fund more and more debt). That has made people chase riskier and riskier things, which has created a self fulfilling prophecy. The bubbles feed themselves for as long as they can blow (and they have blown to levels we have never seen now).

On the Venture Capital seeding front of that, there has been money chasing everything (at ridiculous valuations) from Uber on down. To the extent that some of those private companies have been able to go public after attracting venture capital, some venture capital investors have cashed out the past few years with nice profits on various things, despite the vast majority of those companies themselves not really generating significant profits (which is what would be determining the value of a company in a normal rate environment).

Ultimately, if the past is prelude to the future and I am right about the dynamic of misallocation of capital due to what the rate suppression / monetary inflation has done. ... there is going to be a lot of money lost by venture capital firms that are left holding the bag. That is not a prediction about the Athletic itself, because I have no idea if its business model makes any sense. But even if the company / idea survives, if it is like situations I know more about, there is still a very good chance that there is going to be some losses incurred by VC firms, because the valuations they are investing at are way out of whack -- there is no honest price discovery in a world of manipulated interest rates and they cause bubbles with crazy valuations. Someone is always left holding the bag.

Ice9 and Alma like this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

To me, that's almost irrelevant. It doesn't matter how deep the investor's pockets are -- if the business is bleeding money, it will shut down.

I'm still owed $1,000 by American Thunder, which was backed by Peter Thiel.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That’s helpful.

Thanks.

12. BaseballGuy1

BaseballGuy1 New Member

I just don't see how the Athletic can sustain itself over many years, unless they're paying the journalists minimum wage.

Draft saved Draft deleted