1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Sure. I'm just clarifying that not every Athletic salary -- not even the majority, I'd wager -- is six-figures.

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

In the two markets I know best, the number is probably more like $85,000 per employee. There are several beat writers probably making in the $125k range, but also several recent college grades who are closer to $50,000. Round that up to include 100k. Factor in benefits and salaries for management and headlining acts like Ken Rosenthal, and, yeah, it adds up fast. I also feel like 150 employees sounds low. The markets with four pro sports teams all have at least six reports and some of them have closer to 10. Plus, each city has its own editor.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Are you sure each city has its own editor? I thought I'd read that some cities have writer-editors (who do a lot of writing).

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

That's correct, at least in smaller cities. I know a few in the Midwest/Atlantic have folks who are essentially the No. 2 on a beat doubling as the editor/site liason.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Shams is obviously a great get. I'm curious, though, to see if he can bring in subscriptions when he hasn't yet provided much content beyond drops of news on Twitter. His role will now expand, and we'll get to see if he can actually write. Still, getting someone as plugged-in as him is big.

7. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Getting Woj's leftovers - congrats Athletic.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He'll bring emoji features? lol

SNL skit: cave people transported to 2018 and learning to use emojis to communicate.

Tweener likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought Chris Haynes was the top FA in media for the NBA.

10. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

Has anybody heard any rumors of The Athletic moving to Indianapolis? Stephen Holder’s departure from IndyStar became official today and was rather sudden (except for maybe how heated the guild negotiations seem to be going).

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. Stephen is a real good guy. Enjoyed working with him in Miami.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Cynically speaking, this guy is not of great value, most likely, to the Athletic - assuming they are paying him mid six figures.
    All of his scoops, mostly B-team level, are immediately posted by him on Twitter. If I’m presented with the financial choice of either a) Paying a monthly fee for his B-team NBA breaking scoops or b) paying nothing to see them on Twitter, I choose option A

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted