1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

James Mirtle hinted on Twitter that an Athletic D.C. is coming. That's a crowded market, with already excellent Washington Post coverage, along with The Sports Capitol.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I almost wonder if Jose De Jesus Ortiz is headed to the Athletic. This was not well publicized, but there were five layoffs at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and he was one of them. However, Ortiz was already headed back to Houston. Hmmm.

4. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

James Arlen is joining the Buffalo site, looks like he’ll be doing general assignment

6. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

The best Buffalo writers couldn’t sell subscriptions to a dedicated Buffalo News Bills vertical - the BN Blitz. So naturally let’s hire them to the Athletic

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shouldn't someone be consulting a doctor by now?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Asking those who know the market better: If they go there, would they create a page covering Baltimore and DC?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Would be curious to hear from the Baltimore side of that one, honestly. The Post still dabbles in Orioles coverage because there's a good chunk of people in the D.C. area that remained O's fans even after the Nats arrived. So that's a bit of a unique situation. I don't think folks in D.C. care much at all about the Ravens, nor do I think Baltimoreans give a crap about the Redskins. There's some common ground, perhaps, on Maryland Terrapins coverage.

12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I have a friend who lives in Baltimore who loves the Redskins, and know multiple Ravens fans who live in D.C.

I don't now if it makes sense to combine a D.C. site with Baltimore, but I don't think it would hurt to hire a couple writers to cover the O's and Ravens if it means bringing in a wider audience to the site.

Draft saved Draft deleted