1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

If it goes five years and is sold or goes public, that seems like it would be a successful venture.

2. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

And if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

For a person who says they aren’t rooting for The Athletic to fail, you sure root for The Athletic to fail a lot.

You clearly have a personal axe to grind.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

FWIW, not sure what the context is on this but I found this interesting as it relates to Reddy's earlier comments about MLS fans talking a big game

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it is relevant. More than some people here might realize. It's also a tale of venture capital over the last decade -- which speaks to ridiculous valuations and silly amounts of money getting tossed around, not necessarily whether the businesses themselves are viable.

One thing to note, though, The Athletic is tiny in terms of the money it has raised, compared to what Vice Media was able to raise (a lot of it for Viceland -- the TV channel). Vice Media has raised somewhere around $1.5 billion (with a b). The Athletic has raised about $30 million, I believe. The Athletic's capital raises are coming from relatively small vc investors, by and large. Vice has taken money from some very big investors, including Disney, the Murdochs and TPG. And yes, supposedly there some very antsy investors, rethinking the valuation they handed money over at.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Lemme guess, if they reported it like the Ringer did, you'd be on them for getting it wrong.

It does raise the question, are "scoops" profitable? Especially the range of micro-scoops that Woj gets? The recruiting services have found a way to leverage decent inside info for subscribers, but that's more small innuendo stuff (this guy has impressed coaches behind the scenes, this four-star is trending toward Big State U)

I think the issue for a place like this, and for most of these ventures is working from the top down instead of the bottom up. Instead of starting small, building what you can handle and growing from there, they rush out into trying to spend like a 1990s newspaper. Staffers upon staffers, lots of travel, and then it becomes unsustainable.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't know ... whatever happened to mid-range jumpers in the NBA?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very good question re: scoops. To me, scoops are a Twitter business now. There's no money in 'em, but ... exposure! So-and-so had it first, says so right there on the ESPN ticker.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know that all scoops are equal. There is a huge difference between a story nobody had and that nobody was going to have without getting it. ... and being the first on something that is going to be announced or revealed soon anyhow.

Someone bought up the Bryan Colangelo story (to try to criticize The Athletic) and referenced the Ringer story that broke the whole twitter thing, as well as Woj / ESPN being first on Colangelo stepping down. . ... i.e. scoops The Athletic didn't have.

I make a distinction between those two. The Ringer story was some really good reporting. They broke something. We'd still be sitting here clueless about the burner twitter accounts if they hadn't gotten that story.

The story about Colangelo stepping down? I mean, of course you try to get it out there first. ... but everyone is going to be reporting it anyhow when it happens, and in the dustbin of journalism bragging rights history, are people really putting much stock in the fact that you had it an hour or a few hours before the next guy?

wicked likes this.
  11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Athletic needs to beef up its staffing. In Denver they seem to have two reporters, staffing the Broncos and Nuggets. They are not running Rocky stories. I looked at the Detroit site and they did not seem to have a Tigers reporter.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Seems reasonable to think it will still take more time for The Athletic to staff up. As it is, it seems like there's a hiring announcement every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted