1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

There are lots of European football sites. ESPN's is ESPNFC, based in London. Goal.com is another. And the British papers, like the Guardian, have tons of coverage. Not saying The Athletic can't do well here. Just that there are other football sites. MLS and El Tri would be underserved, but I have the same questions about readership there. Even the most rabid MLS fan bases would pale next to Real Madrid's or Manchester United's. But with the World Cup coming up, maybe they can catch an audience.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Doesn’t ESPN air all the El Tri friendlies? I know Skipper pushed soccer, but that’s not a play you make unless you think there’s upside to it. Assuming that’s the case, sounds like a smart move by The Athletic.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Looks like they’re improving the app—might have missed this before, but you can finally see the scores for teams you don’t follow.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If The Athletic ever gets sold, it will be disappointing. That will prove the founders just did it for a quick flip. And once it's sold it won't be pretty what happens to it.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you're out to create something solely for a flip and the first thing that comes to mind is a journalism site, you might have a few screws loose.

Deskgrunt50, Potter, Hermes and 2 others like this.
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

If the founders are able to flip the Athletic it would be good sign. It would mean the founders made a profit. Which would probably be a first for a sports media website and an incentive for others.

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Seeing more announcements today, this time of new college football writers. So far, I've seen hires for Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin.

EDIT: Iowa and Michigan State too. Guess they're starting in the Big Ten.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  8. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

In at least a couple of cases, scooping up folks who were formerly at Land of 10.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Waiting for Reddy to tell us The Athletic is going out of business in 3, 2, 1 ...

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Geez. I’m glad something works for you. I was beginning to think you don’t have a funny bone.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted