1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Can you cite an example of an American newspaper that has stayed in its lane and prospered the last 10 years?

I think the reason that the Athletic has to invest in a web production is that they have to get users to the site. I subscribe to the site, like the site and do not visit that often. One reason is that if I need to know a score I know ESPN will have it at least as fast. The ESPN game story will generally not be as good but I will get some form of instant gratification. Far more people will subscribe if the Athletic is the first app they look at for scores.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    FileNotFound and lcjjdnh like this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But if "find elsewhere" is clicking on 20 different papers to read up on 20 local teams, even for free, I'll pass. The one-stop shop is what I love the most about The Athletic and I'm more than willing to pay for that. And -- crossthread -- the fact that sports betting is about to go nationwide is a big plus for them, having so many markets covered.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nah --- crossthread --- BetChicago will make all other sites irrelevant.

cjericho, wicked, Fly and 2 others like this.
  4. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

How many people are going to newspaper websites for pro or even college scores? I'd say none. If I want a quick score update during the game or to check the stats after, I go to ESPN. I doubt any other site adding this would make me change that, The Athletic or otherwise. And I'm guessing that's the case for a lot of people.

Would it be nice if The Athletic provided it? Of course. But again, I don't think that's the goal the site is aiming for, especially if putting money into that causes another area to suffer. They aren't looking to please the "instant gratification" seekers, as Lancey put it.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Athletic or any other site is going to have a tough time beating the convience of "OK, Google. What's the score of the Celtics game?"

TigerVols and wicked like this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But can OK Google write long form?

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Exactly.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Well, and that's the rub here. From the feedback I'm reading here, it sounds like we all kind of want that one-stop shop: Instant in-progress scores, quick at-the-gun gamer, AND those lean-back longform reads. For me, The Athletic, in its current incarnation, isn't that one-stop shop. It's kind of my replacement for Sports Illustrated, but updated daily and configurable to choose which particular teams I want to read longer, more in-depth stories about. Having freed myself of that expectation, I either use the ESPN app (ugh), the league apps (better, although the NFL app sucks) and Twitter for my up-to-the-minute digital updates.

MNgremlin and lcjjdnh like this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Score app beats them all for instant info.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why people might need a one-stop shop: To me, ESPN is unbeatable for scores and boxes. But, for example, its coverage of some of my favorite NFL teams is thin. So for that I go to the local newspapers or SI.com or, now, maybe the Athletic. It's not that hard....

MNgremlin likes this.
  11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I agree it's not that hard, but will people actually do it? The first two outlets, local newspapers and SI, are going down the toilet. I do not think the entrepreneurs at the Athletic should use those media outlets as a model.

12. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

It absolutely fascinates me how many young people (18-24) get their scores and updates from Bleacher Report's mobile app instead of ESPN's mobile app

Draft saved Draft deleted