1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

None of those were a subscription model. Not like it's impossible for The Athletic to fail, there might not be anything that works anymore. But they are trying a different strategy at least.

Because you mention it, does anyone know what Athletic subscription numbers are like?

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Reddy seems obsessed with trashing The Athletic. Did he not get hired there?

3. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Based on what I saw throughout my career, you will never have to worry about running out of sportswriters who are not athletic.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

A lot of the "old newspaper guys," as someone put, are writing freelance for The Athletic. So cost is relatively low.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Wicked was spot on. You have a raging hard-on.

Hey, if they can make this work, I'm happy for the sake of journalists and the genre in general.

wicked likes this.
  6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

And what I'm saying is 8,000 subs on its own won't keep the lights on at BSJ. Refresh me, how'd the last round of funding go for The Athletic?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Reddy wasn’t hired at The Athletic, so it’s going to fail.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Source? I have a hard time believing a guy like Gammons is getting paid by the piece, but that’s just me.

9. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Gosh, great point. Funding rounds for media companies are the absolute guarantee of success. Signed, The National. Signed, Grantland.

10. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Ever heard of “growth”? BSJ is at every Boston game home and road right now. So, apparently 8,000 subs is enough to keep the lights on right now.

11. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

It was 8,159 subs on Friday. It’s 8,187 as of Saturday afternoon. So, yeah, the number seems to be going up

12. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

They also blew their travel budget covering Super Bowl LII, so let's see how long they staff every road game.

Draft saved Draft deleted