1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I wonder how it'll hold up against Greg Bedard's site. I'm assuming it wins that war. Not sure there is room for both.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The Athletic is being called out by the NABJ for its staff being three-quarters white males and only 13 percent non-white journalists. What does that mean to the site's short- and long-term future? And shouldn't any criticism of its hiring practices also look at the back-filling of jobs left behind, i.e., what newspapers and other outlets who lost staffers to The Athletic do with those openings? Perhaps opportunities are created elsewhere in the wake of the start-up's initial staffing. IIRC, when The National began, it opened up a lot of jobs and promotions for the next tier of sports journalists.

3. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Looks like Clevis Murray from the Boston Globe is joining The Athletic too...

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

No disrespect meant ... but who?

Tweener and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Son of Bold Venture. Full brother of Assault.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He covered preps for the Globe, which might as well be a spot in witness protection.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Tim Kawasaki discusses this with Marcus Thompson: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/c/3/1c3...22886142&hwt=90d1163958e0f225345ef8b15f47c4c6

8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

He graduates from a college you've never heard of in 2019, according to LinkedIn.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How heavy is ESPN Boston's site? Have they backed off their regionals?

If the money (and security) were the same, is there a noticeable advantage between The Athletic, a daily, an ESPN region or other cable regional site?

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Some praise but also some criticism: I’ve really been enjoying so far the beat coverage of the baseball teams I follow (Mets and Yankees). But I’m not sure I understand what the coverage/schedule strategy is. For example, so far as I can tell, there’s been no Yankees-focused story about the Red Sox series at all, much less last night’s game. What gives?

11. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Having 13 percent non-white journalists is way more inclusive than the vast majority of sports media outlets, excepting the few minority focused ones such as "The Undefeated". NABJ should be giving "The Athletic" an award rather than complaining.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  12. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

LOL. Guessing you're also someone who complains about reverse racism quite often.

On a much more serious note, I've heard The Athletic's corporate office have instructed some of its local sites to strongly consider hiring minorities for vacant spots, so they're aware of the issue/perception.

Draft saved Draft deleted