1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

The Athletic does many things well, but what it has always done and continues to do best is marketing. That $1/month promo is only $6 off an annual $60 subscription.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Which makes the company an anomaly in the publishing industry.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Anybody seen this? Athletic seems to be integrating a Twitter-like live feed on the app. Seen several of their writers promoting it today. Thoughts

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Genius idea, there's no place else to get quick bursts of real-time news.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Whatever floats their boat, but I go to the app to get away from social media for a few minutes and dive into a decent read. I will not be, ugh, "joining the conversation."

7. motorsportwriter

motorsportwriter New Member

Matt: Not being a jerk about this but might want to check the batteries in your calculator. That $1/month promo is $48 off an annual $60 subscription (12 months x $1 a month).

8. Situation

Situation Member

The $1/month promo is only for 3 months. Then you pay $7.99/month thereafter. So it's close to $75 for a year and $15 over the annual subscription -- though you can cancel anytime.

The Athletic

PaperClip529 likes this.
  9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

What @Situation said, except when I had clicked it, the $1 promo was for six months and the $7.99 after.

10. motorsportwriter

motorsportwriter New Member

Thanks for clarifying, Matt and @Situation. But that's weird because when I initially clicked on the promo, it was $1 per month for 12 months. Now when I clicked on it, it indeed was for three months.

11. SellOut

SellOut Member

Nice to see them celebrating a million subscribers by ... not hiring back the folks they laid off or restoring the 10% pay cut they required at least some of their staff to take. Oh, and they're starting a "breaking news" desk or something. So the thing that wasn't going to be like anybody else is ... now becoming everybody else. I root for the people that work there, but the idea that they've somehow cracked the code? Nope.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The thing that made them different was avoiding breaking news, not even running game stories til the morning after, right?

Writer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted