1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I think it was videos that flopped, not podcasts. As far as I know, The Athletic's podcast game is strong.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm in the same boat. My media consumption has been all messed up and down overall while working from home. Less time in the car means I'm way behind on podcasts and no lunches out means no scrolling through The Athletic or other sites. Reading a book last month felt like an impressive feat.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I am soooo far behind on podcasts.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Podcasts are easily what I'm the most behind on when it comes to media consumption. I miss my commute. Now I basically only listen to them when I'm doing yard work or home improvement stuff.
    Question for @MTM : Is it just The Athletic that you've read less of or is it all sportswriting? Just curious if the types of reads you may have looked for from The Athletic haven't been able to fit into your work-from-home schedule, or it if it was just a general sports media consumption.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's long form pieces like in The Athletic. I still read one sports section each morning at breakfast and thumb through a second and probably scan this site and other quick reads more often, but at lunch I'm more likely to watch a TV show or check in a ballgame than read anything.

And unlike many of you, I'm actually listening more to podcasts now since I know go for at least a 45 minutes walk most every day. I never listened to many before because I'm fortunate to have a 10-minute drive when I go to the office.

lakefront likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

One million total or one million currently?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's current subscribers.

Hansmann had projected that 1 million subscribers a year ago, so this is really a miss of sorts. And they have been giving away a lot of subscriptions -- they gave a year for free to T-Mobile customers and bundled 6-month trials with Bloomberg's All-Access subscription.

It's a lot of readers, and people seeing the product isn't a bad thing, but what I'd like to know is what their cash flow situation looks like. If those incremental readers simply represent an expense, in the present they are a financial drain. ... and it means they are heavily counting on being able to convert people who weren't paying for it into paying customers. Will they be able to? And then there is the same question they have always faced, which is even at the full subscription price, how profitable can they be?

maumann likes this.
  8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

How much has the pandemic affected this, though? Even daily outlets are hurting for subscribers during the pandemic. Boutique publications like this have to be hurting, too.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wonder how much traveling, if any, their baseball writers did and what the football writers will be doing. Obviously the hockey and basketball writers were parked except for a couple in the NBA bubble. That could be a not-insignificant amount of travel money saved.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd guess the thing that eats away at the money they have raised the most is. ... salaries. So I can't imagine the shutdown was a good thing for them, even if some marginal expenses decreased as a result and they did some layoffs.

To some extent, it's not the really operative thing for them.

They have raised a lot of money, so unless they have been spending it stupidly, they should have something of a cushion. The thing that concerns me most about the company. ... is the valuations at which it raised that money. It puts pressure on them to grow very aggressively to justify those valuations and it means that their investors are likely going to be patient only up until a point.

Which makes me a bit sad. Because by all accounts, they have something for which there has been decent consumer demand. It's not as sexy, and it takes longer, but if they had done this the way businesses had to do it before the era of cheap money, it would have been interesting to see if they could grow organically, proving their concept along the way and using any excess cash they generated (if they succeed) to fund each next leg of growth. Moving into new markets when they were generating enough excess cash where they already were to fund it. If they were in that position, who knows how they would have fared during the shutdown, but assuming they would have been able to borrow their way through it somehow, they wouldn't be feeling the same pressure to grow unrealistically right now that I am guessing is their reality.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Do their subscribers-only podcasts have a healthy amount of advertising? Are they drawing your typical podcast advertisers?

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Not following all the beats, but I haven't seen one road dispatch. Which, to piggyback on Ragu's question, makes you wonder how long it takes until those making the big salaries are deemed expendable and easily replaced by someone fresh out of college working for a lot less. Ahh, the circle of life.

Draft saved Draft deleted