1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Imagine paying $5 to read about the quality of the hot dogs in the Montreal press box.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

As someone who covers hockey, let me just say that there’s zero problem with this story. The hotdogs in the Montreal press box are legendary, and the lineup for them is lengthy.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That probably cancels out Cleveland.com’s ranking of Progressive Field’s food this spring.

SFIND likes this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I an sure the hot dogs are great in the Montreal press box. But one of the problems with a lot of internet writing is that they run to damn long. I bet this story would have been better if it had been shorter.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    ChrisLong and Writer like this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Imagine thinking that's the only story The Athletic ran across all its platforms all month.

MNgremlin and Webster like this.
  6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

I'm from Montreal, I work as a sportswriter, and I couldn't even get through that story. The hot dogs are weirdly good, here's a couple fun stories, fin. There's zero problem with the story idea, but it needed an editor to work with the writer and cut the story by half.

Liut likes this.
  7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Disney+ is $6.99, with endless content.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's coincidence or not but the Hurricanes reporter changed her Twitter picture this weekend.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I believe the Kansas City Star had stories on its Sunday sports front that were 120+ inches, 60+ inches and 40+ inches the other day.

All written for the internet, of course. But some poor designer had to squeeze them in a small sports section.

That paper could write 50 inches about the pebbling on a basketball.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I recently ran into a writer for The Athletic who I hadn’t seen since he started there and he said his biggest battle is not writing too long since he’s not limited by inch count.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Liut likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Virtually every Nascar writer has written an ode to the Martinsville Speedway hot dogs.

SportsGuyBCK likes this.
  12. John

John Well-Known Member

I write for a website (not the Athletic) and I'm a big believer that you need a good reason to go over 1,000 words with most stories.

Liut and Writer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted