1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

How many journalists have lost jobs because of tweets? It’s a good number. So some decorum is required, no?

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Yes. The winning move is to not play.

Old Time Hockey likes this.
  3. I don't think a male reporter's avatar or Twitter presence would be scrutinized on here this way...

BrendaStarr likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If a dude posed in the mirror in a muscle shirt for a selfie for professional work account, yes, I'd feel the same way. I also happen to think that your Twitter feed -- if used in a professional capacity -- is an extension of your professional presence. It's a chance to make an impression. Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of it, but that's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. I have no axe to grind with the reporter in question.

BitterYoungMatador2, Liut and Writer like this.
  5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a problem scrutinizing a male or female reporters' Twitter feed.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't usually give a shit about anyone's Twitter behavior, and I'm not someone who typically gets hung up on outdated ideas of decorum, but I will say, I checked out that Carolina reporter's feed awhile back after some minor "controversy" made it into my world, and I find it to be a total hot mess. Like legitimately terrible. I like entertaining and smart people who aren't in the mainstream, but this was not that.

Alma and matt_garth like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Lol. It's so true!

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

It was said several pages back, but it apparently bears repeating.

If you don't like someone's Twitter feed, don't follow. If their follower count plays a factor in their job evaluation, then those who are making a negative impact with their feed will learn the hard way.

Or maybe their style works for their audience and just isn't your cup of tea.

Regardless, it's your choice whether to follow or not.

9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

The Athletic did a 2,000 word story today on the quality of the hot dogs at the Montreal Forum.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Your point was taken and rejected because people wanted to opine about it it anyway. It’s a message board.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How about a nice game of chess?

Severian and SFIND like this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If that’s what the folks paying $5 a month want to read, give it to them.

I’m at the point where any content employing writers that isn’t unethical is fine by me. Write 6,000 words on a dune buggy race if that’s what readers want.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted