1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Since this is the catch-all thread for Athletic commentary/compliments/criticism....

The '35 under 35' package reeks of the stuff newspapers used to do in the old days...doing a "series" for the sake of doing a series...beat sweeteners that no one has any interest in except the subject and his immediate family.

The Athletic should be better than that. And usually is. This tells me they have editors with too much time on their hands or someone who is already looking to pad submissions for the awards calendar.

**Disclaimer: I have not read all of the stories in the series, and I'm sure some of them are interesting and well-written.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Okay, does it not seem weird that Bloomberg would do a story on The Athletic reaching 500,000 subscribers and then 600,000? Am I wrong on this one?

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I do think it's interesting they added 100K subscribers in about two weeks.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

There are a lot of stories on there that are just the writer trying to justify his existence. Projecting the Columbus Blue Jackets lineup for 2022?? How a former Tampa Bay Lightning player is trying to work his way back into the NHL in the Minnesota Wild system.

Tweener likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Or like the "40 under 40" that a lot of city business journals do. I had a PR job where my boss asked me to pitch two of our employees for that list, I knew both had no chance of making it but I couldn't really say that.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The initial story said they passed 500,000 subscribers in June. Today's story said they passed 600,000 in August. So it's two months, not two weeks.

MNgremlin likes this.
  7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Would any of us be surprised if it came out that The Athletic was doing some dishonest stuff to pump their subscriber numbers? This is Silicon Valley after all

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A significant bump in these two months doesn't sound crazy given that fans are shifting into football mode and The Athletic has made a glut of hires around pro and college. Whether that number is really accurate, who knows.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They also just made a big push into English soccer, so I'm sure they added several thousand there.

Fran Curci likes this.
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

One reason for the bump may be that is the Athletic is offering a lot of introductory, teaser rates. I know of no evidence they are but a 20% jump in two months seems to be to good to be true.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  11. Whoadie

Whoadie New Member

They just hired every soccer writer known to man, several of which have 250K+ followers. I'd be more concerned if they didn't add 100K last month.

TigerVols likes this.
  12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'd love to know how much those soccer writers are getting paid.

Draft saved Draft deleted