1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why he left the Ringer?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought Staples was pretty good with SI and I didn't miss Mandel that much. But now what? Of course, covering college football for a twice a month magazine probably doesn't have much allure. One week in CFB and everything can change.

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Don’t worry SI will replace him with some woke 25-year-old Twitter jockey, and at a fraction of the cost

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is there anything to positions at The Athletic showing up on the Jobs forum? I realize that posts there are taken from other websites, but I don't recall openings for The Athletic showing up there before. My sense was that the company recruited people, trying to pick top writers in a market, and that strategy was working, from a operational and promotional perspective.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

If it’s the case this generation doesn’t care, you can bet the last ones didn’t either.

But yes, I assume you can leverage corruption into outrage that leads to people reading things.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

What would a numbers story be in this case? Is that the high-end investigation into corruption mentioned earlier?

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

With so many internet companies getting into the crypto market, such as Facebook, I’m wondering...would The Athletic ever consider accepting Bitcoin on subscriptions?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

According to Armen Keteyian - 500,000 subscribers as of today.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Since they don't do refunds, let's assume, on average, each sub has paid about $45, since full price is $60 (IIRC) and a lot of people wait until one of their half-price specials.

That's $22.5M gross revenue.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

And if they have 300 full-timers at $100K each (including benefits), that's $30 million. Still: 500,000 subscribers for a relatively new product seems phenomenal to me.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That's a big assumption. I'd be surprised if half of their editorial staff was making that much.

Draft saved Draft deleted