1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Even before the era of online comments, our publisher INSISTED on devoting a column of the dead tree edition for anonymous one-paragraph reader comments. Our county seat was a very insulated suburban town full of petty small-town politics and grudges (and a big rift between the old-timers and the newcomers). Needless to say, it turned into a cesspool almost immediately ... so the publisher doubled down by forcing us to create our own version for sports, which turned into an even bigger cesspool (especially given the county seat community's reputation of blowing through basketball coaches every couple of years). We lost quite a few readers over it because they thought it was giving voice to idiots and making their community look awful. Publisher called it "the most important part of the paper" in the middle of the newsroom. I spent the rest of that afternoon updating my resume.

playthrough likes this.
  2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

3. Fran Curci

Yep -- that was the period when the executives thought "interacting with readers" was going to save us. We would do polls that attracted, say, 25 responses, and would be told, "That's great. We interacted with 25 readers."

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes, some very stupid comments were made by suits. If there were only a few comments on stories, it was the writer's fault for not interacting. You were encouraged to join in with your own comments. I will AGAIN praise the non suits on this. Writers tried for a while to obey the suits' commands. But, sickened by the stupidity and sickened by the insults from readers, the authors of stories simply couldn't bring themselves to comment. Finally like most new ideas ... the suits forgot and just let the readers fight among themselves in the comments section. The suits didn't really know what to do about cuss words in the comments. They tried to assign somebody to police the comments. It all was one big mess.

5. Fran Curci

I remember one of my bosses being excited/envious/upset because the competition's story on a subject we also covered had 30 comments. I pointed out that the 30 comments were by a total of 3 people.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well that seems like a fun time.

I will say The Athletic has a progressive affluent bent to it. There’s only so many latitude you’d be given on a site like that to defend, say, the NCAA. National sportswriters tend to be as far left as just about anyone in journalism.

Joe Williams likes this.
  7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

So as of May 2019 what's the verdict. Is the Athletic (please answer all questions of Fredrick) ...
    a.) a must read?
    b.) closing in on irrelevance?
    c.) ready to go the way of The National?
    d.) thriving and one of the best buys ever?
    e.) a major factor in journalism?
    f.) no factor in journalism?
    g.) primed to last 20 more years paying reporters these huge salaries?
    h.) on its last legs?

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

i. Mini-Ditka

Cosmo, JimmyHoward33 and Alma like this.
  9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If I cancel my subscription or stop renewing, it will be because of the Athletic's tedious and predictable political bias and not because of its sports coverage.
    Alienating a large segment of your potential customer base -- for gratuitous jollies and self-indulgence, unprofessionally so -- is bad business, and what a dumb shame it will be if that is why the Athletic ultimately fails.

Sports Barf likes this.
  10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just stick to Breitbart and Infowars, man. You'll be much happier.

JC likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Athletic is a grave danger to the republic.

12. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Oh for fucks sake another sports site with a political bent? Jesus Christ it’s like a cold sore that won’t go away

Joe Williams and Fredrick like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted