1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Writer

Writer Member

I saw they laid of or didn't renew a Cleveland Indians writer who had been there over two years too. Don't understand what they are doing. Hiring new people but getting rid of other quality writers.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I looked at the Nebraska guy's story. If the Nebraska SID had issued that as a press release it still would have been considered over the top.

Tweener and Writer like this.
  3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I can go either way on this.

Want a guy to write about Nebraska with nuance, passion and an understanding of the program’s history? You’d probably be hard pressed to find someone more well equipped.

But I understand concerns about having outright homers take on the job, too. That said, he obviously has experience covering the team in an at least semi-balanced manor from his time in Omaha, so my guess is this will work out.

4. I don't have a problem with someone who grew up a fan of a program covering them. I can think of plenty of examples of people who started out as fan bloggers who have made themselves into beat writers for traditional outlets and cover the teams with plenty of objectivity and fairness.

MNgremlin likes this.
  5. Writer

Writer Member

But that wasn't an objective article. I don't care if it was a welcome article.

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Not even three years into their operation and The Athletic is already resorting to hiring fanboys? No thanks, I’ll just find something else to do, sports aren’t real anyways

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Will it be spend time with friends? I'm betting no.

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Actually, probably. This indursty sucks

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

To me, they might not be hiring fanboys, it might just end up that way. There is an awful lot of "gee whiz" and the sad, infamous "god-ing up" of the players, for my taste anyway. So many pieces going for the emotional back story of athletes from hard-scrabble backgrounds -- compared to readers? really? -- and a set point that the millionaires (players) always are to be favored over the billionaires (owners). Seems as if criticism, across the board, has yielded to a desperation for access, if not through teams then through player agents. IMO. I've liked some of the unexpected-angle features and profiles, but it doesn't have the teeth for which I was hoping on a daily basis.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Athletic adds podcasts

[​IMG]

We're obsessed with making your subscription better. That’s why today, we are introducing a premier audio experience for our subscribers featuring more than 20 exclusive podcast shows hosted by some of The Athletic's world-class writing team and some new audio talent. This is just the start as we hope to add audio coverage for all of our markets in the near future. We invite you to hear our stories told in a whole new way and thank you, as always, for being a subscriber.

Visit theathletic.com/podcasts or download the latest version of The Athletic app from the Apple App Store or Google Play to listen on the go.

11. They need to add an option to change the playback speed. I listen to most podcasts on 1.5x.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

As someone who purchased a yearly subscription a few weeks ago, I welcome the addition of new content.

Draft saved Draft deleted