1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Writer

Writer Member

2. Writer

Writer Member

3. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

For the Athletic to spend a lot money to hire you, you must move the needle from a subscriber perspective or check a diversity box.

If they can't find a candidate meeting one of those criteria, they will hire young and cheap.

4. Writer

Writer Member

But why does the Royals even need another beat writer?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There's only so much a reporter can take.
    Seriously, though, just like in print, you do have to give the beat guy a few days off now and then. Or let him/her go off the beaten path, which the Athletic seems to encourage. I'm thinking of something like last season, when Baggs went up to Oregon for a few days to check out Joey Bart.

6. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

My guess is Rustin will contribute to more national baseball coverage as he has done periodically since last year.

7. Writer

Writer Member

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Osborne is a class act no doubt, but I think it's scary in this day and age to consider anybody a saint. I mean maybe Osborne is that great, if so I honor him as well. And perhaps the writer does not consider Osborne flawless. I thought the piece sort of made him saintly. If I am mistaken, my bad. That writer appears to be very talented.

Writer likes this.
  9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Sure, dragging your girlfriend down the stairs by her hair is bad, but Lawrence Phillips needed football. It was his only chance. It wasn’t that Saint Tom really, really wanted a national championship.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So this full of shit narrative on Osborne is still alive huh? Neat.

11. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Is it me, or is there a bit of a fanboi element with The Athletic? This Nebraska guy isn't the first admitted homer to write his intro story (which is a whole 'nother discussion). One of the Browns beat guys, for example, used to be a team employee.

Writer likes this.
  12. sporty

sporty Member

The attraction is in the number of Twitter followers, not always in the talent and journalistic ability.

Draft saved Draft deleted