1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

No, I think lots of people have long thought that the Washington Post (or perhaps the New York Times) were the ultimate destination. Besides the prestige attached both these papers are profitable, will exist in 10 years and are adding staff right now. But the chances of getting hired at the Athletic are a lot higher.

What is extraordinary is that when the National started I think the people who went to work there thought they were taking a risk. But I also think that the people who went to work there thought they could get another good job if it failed. I think that generally happened. In fact, the exposure at the National probably helped some writers get better jobs (Chris Mortensen and Charles Pierce come to mind.) But I believe the people going to the Athletic think that their job at their respective dailies will disappear in 10 years.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Tweener and cake in the rain like this.
  2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Maybe his wife got a great job that required them to move to DC?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Will have to wait for the Why I Joined the Washington Post essay.

nafselon, Potter, SFIND and 5 others like this.
  4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I think the WashPost has only one Nationals beat writer, and they really need two, so I wouldn't be surprised if this guy wound up doing mostly Nationals.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Remember that Boswell and Svrluga do a lot of baseball stuff, too.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It became the ultimate destination for some "name" guys with decades of experience and salaries that put them in the crosshairs at their old shops. Maybe even the last possible destination.

I wonder how The Athletic is faring on renewals. I just had mine re-up automatically, which of course is a rookie mistake.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Tweener, cake in the rain and Writer like this.
  7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Does that mean you would have let it lapse rather than renew, if not for the auto-renewal? I re-upped recently on purpose, but dropped a different online subscription (to a daily paper) to balance it out, budget-wise.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a lot of people will be auto-renewed. I was last week, with no emails in the two months preceding the renewal and no email following the renewal. The only reason I knew I'd been renewed was when I checked my bank account. Given the constant emails that come with my other online services, it's kind of a glaring oversight on The Athletic's part.

9. Writer

Writer Member

This happened to me too. I debated whether or not I wanted to contact them about ending my subscription but opted not to. I want them to succeed just for the sake of the industry. Otherwise, they don't produce enough quality content that makes them unique over free content or if I'd subscribe to a different publication.

Tweener likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Oh no, not at all. I'd have lapsed/canceled and renewed at a lower rate. And maybe have gotten a T-shirt out of the deal, who knows. Just being a cheap bastard with my mounting list of subscriptions. But I believe in the product and definitely want to keep supporting.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just got an offer of $1.99/months -- exclusively for Cleveland fans!

Good thing I live in Cleveland and nowhere else. I'm back in.

Draft saved Draft deleted