1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Writer

Writer Member

One of the two Milwaukee Brewers contributing writers. Are they already trying to cut some payroll?

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Somebody thinks so. Or are you convinced that this is some scam by the suits to screw over writers while taking home ungodly sums of money?
    More importantly, why are you so hung up on this? Somebody is spending a lot of money on writers in the hopes that the public at some future date will hand them over money to read these writers in a sum greater than they have spent? Like every other new business.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    cjericho and Fredrick like this.
  3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

And the Rays writer left the Athletic to go back to MLB.com where he was the intern last year. So there is a little turnover there.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

No. The Athletic is all good to Fredrick. I just want to know if The Athletic will revolutionize sports news or be out of business soon.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It looks like Cat Garcia was a "contributor" rather than a full-time writer for The Athletic.

6. Writer

Writer Member

The Athletic is starting to look more and more like a sinking ship. I've seen numerous writers announcing they are leaving The Athletic recently. Not a good sign.

7. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I am a fan of The Athletic but the Wisconsin news outside Jesse Temple on the Badgers beat is pretty pedestrian IMO. Garcia was meh at best, didn't really enjoy her writing. Cohen is OK on the Packers beat but nothing special. Temple though does very good work. Nehm pretty decent on Bucks beat also.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

FWIW, Jeff was a contributor, not a full-timer. I don't think I've seen any full-timers leave. Could very well just be sites starting up and hiring more contributor help than they need and later realizing that. Wouldn't be uncommon. In Denver, The Athletic hired a contributing writer to get them through the Avs' playoff run before hiring a full-timer to cover the team. It was really just a matter of timing and needing someone right away as the site launched. Calling it a sinking ship because part-timers are leaving seems incredibly premature unless there's something I'm missing.

PaperClip529 and MNgremlin like this.
  9. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I regularly engage with several The Athletic staffers on my beat and none of them have shared even a hint of concern about how things are going. In fact, quite the opposite.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the reason so many are jumping to conclusions is that almost all the other ships appear to be sinking.

MNgremlin likes this.
  11. I've heard they're cutting way back on freelance contributors across the board. No idea what that does or does not mean for any of the full-time staffers or the overall health of the company.

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Only one that I see that left was the Rays writer and he went back to MLB.com for the same job.

Draft saved Draft deleted