1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I like it. It's like The Athletic suits are telling their writers they value them and are giving them some time to write their pieces. Everybody knows who won and who lost and rather than having them write some drivel for immediate page views, trash for immediate page views, the Athletic suits let their reporters attack postgame. Newspaper suits work their reporters way too hard, demanding twitter posts, halftime updates, instant game stories, then videos and other postgame stories and video analysis. That's simply too much work. Kudos to the Athletic suits for treating their writers as special human beings, not machines.

Seth1710, BrendaStarr and MNgremlin like this.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We don't have "suits."

Carry on

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree that tweets and such aren't why people subscribe. They go to The Athletic for more (after learning about something through a tweet etc.).

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Moddy can correct me if I'm wrong, but if one believes teh Twitterez, didn't The Athletic's T'wolves beat guy, a former AP reporter, break the story first?

MNgremlin likes this.
  5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Since the firing reportedly came about 30 minutes after a home game, with local media still on the premises and the media work room about 50 feet from the locker room, I sure as hell would hope somebody on the scene would break it.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Has The Athletic filled all the "universal desk" roles advertised a few months ago? (I know, I know, I'm hired... :rolleyes:)

Waldo9939 likes this.
  7. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

It seems to be very mysterious since I applied in September, didn't hear a peep and again before Christmas.

8. Moderator1

Nothing mysterious about it - I've replied to countless people who have reached out to me (and admit I may have missed a couple because I have received and continue to receive a lot of inquiries).

The positions have drawn considerable interest. Many applications to sort through and nothing is going to get rushed. Interviews are being done this week. If you haven't heard from us yet, it doesn't mean you won't but these spots will be filled fairly soon.

And with that, I'll go back to being mysterious!

fleishman likes this.
  9. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

Noted, thanks for the update moddy.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Looks like applications are still being taken through the website. It shows the job(s) based in San Francisco, but don't know how set in stone that is.

The Athletic Media Company jobs

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

So many job openings. So much money tied up in just those openings. It's interesting the Athletic can take on all that salary. Somebody out there is sold on the old model of subscription based writing. I repeat what I've asked before. Is The Athletic going to be a huge hit financially? Or not?

12. Moderator1

They are remote

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted