1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FishHack76, Oct 16, 2007.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I didn't see a thread on the movie so I figured I would start one. I saw it a few days ago when I had three hours to kill (that statement is important). I had seen the trailer a couple of weeks before, and it intrigued me.
    I thought it was outstanding with very strong performances from Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck. Could get a load of Oscar nominations.
    Like "The Departed," the tension builds as Pitt's Jesse James becomes more and more paranoid about his gang members double crossing him. Affleck does well playing the socially awkward Ford who seems fawning and dangerously stalkerish.
    The movie is also visually stunning. I know not everyone is going to like it because it is long. I didn't really look at my watch until the end and I was surprised at how quickly the time went by (I was going to be a little late for work because of it.)
    I plan on seeing the movie again, this time, with the Other. I didn't know if anyone else caught it and thought highly (or otherwise) of it.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Casey Affleck plays social awkward very well.

3. I saw on Today a few weeks ago, Gene Shalit(sp?) skewered it.
    What the hell do critics know.
    Since it's a western, I'll see it. I'm a sucker for a western.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Fish, I saw this movie at an advance screening and I thought I wrote something about it in the now unstickied Movies Thread. Anyway, I thought it was fantastic and one of the best westerns I have ever seen. I think Pitt and Affleck should get at least Oscar nods for their roles in this movie.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Please, don't ever confuse Gene Shalit with a film critic. The guy's a clown.

Going to see this today, since I have the day off and probably can't get the Mrs. to go for another western so soon after 3:10 to Yuma.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He is not a clown. If he were a clown he would have crazy hair and funny ties and such.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I see what you did there.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Pitt may lure in Mrs. T, and with a supporting cast that includes Hearst geologist Francis Walcott and the Suburban Baroness of Bud, I'm intrigued.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

And James Carville makes an appearance late in the movie as the governor of Missouri

10. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I heard really good things about that movie...too bad that and "Into the Wild" haven't tricked down yet to medium sized cities.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The title and the decision to cast Brad Pitt should give it away, but I'm going to ask those of you who have seen this to do me a favor.

Please tell me this doesn't make Jesse James -- who is in the discussion with Paul Revere and George A. Custer as the most overrated Americans in history -- look like this misunderstood Robin Hood.

The man was a homicidal sociopath, starting from his days riding with Quantrill and Bloody Bill Anderson, who were the 1860 version of American terrorists. He killed men in cold blood for grins and giggles, including men of his own gang.

Bob Ford did the world a favor by removing this piece of shit from the gene pool. Even in death, this bag of crap had a great press agent who has managed to perpetuate this bullshit of Jesse James as Robin Hood for 125 years.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bird, the ship has sailed on that one, my friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted