1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "artist" formerly known as Kanye West says....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Jan 27, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I figured that he would have pointed out that Barack Obama hates white people

2. markvid

markvid Guest

That was damn funny.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

Kanye has replaced Nelly as the poster child of pop rap. His last good song was "Through the Wire."

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Seriously? He's had some good stuff ("Touch The Sky" and Gold Digger" off the top of my head). Wasn't "Through the Wire" like his first song? That's just silly. I'm not a huge fan, but he's had some pretty solid songs. Full disclosure: I kind of liked Nelly. It's not really rap, but it was entertaining.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Nelly was the same way, though. "Country Grammar" was good, and "Ride Wit Me" and "E.I." were OK. All off the first album.

The problem with all three of those Nelly songs and the Kanye songs you mentioned is that they all got heavy radio play on top 40 stations. Rarely do good rap songs get radio play on those stations.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jay-Z does.

I think it freaked me out the first time my mom told me how much she loved "Must Be The Money." Until I told her that the part that was bleeped out was "fuck me good, suck me good." Then she didn't like it quite as much.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Not good Jay-Z. "Give It To Me" and "Change Clothes" might, but "Jigga What, Jigga Who," "Change the Game," and "The Takeover" don't.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have said it before, as much as I love Jay, his best work was his first album. Reasonable Doubt was amazing, that's not to say the rest of his stuff isn't great, cause for the most part it is, but that first one still blows me away when I hear it.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Kanye West don't like people.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I wouldn't necessarily categorize Kanye as rap, either. I mean it is technically rap, but it's definitely more pop. But that doesn't mean it's bad. I'm not putting him in a category with Run DMC or Eric B. and Rakim here. But given the state of rap these days, he's more entertaining than most.

11. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I would have given you that until his latest album. All of this auto-tune bullshit is so far beyond terrible I don't know what word to assign it. It was cool with Roger Troutman. Not so much now. How the hell do you go from great producer to decent lyricist to awful singer? It's so aggravating. That'd be like after Jordan decided to play baseball he then decided he was going to be a professional jockey. The progression makes no sense with Kanye.

But as for the rest of current hip hop? Yes, it's a shame how far the genre has fallen when it comes to what's mainstream.

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

It's horrible. Anyone here like Li'l Wayne or T.I. or any of that other stuff. I just don't get it. And Bruce, I did not even bother with Kanye's latest album. That is most definitely NOT rap. And it is, from what I hear, horrible. I know he's just trying to do something new and different, but if he's so smart he should know that it sounds like shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted