1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "artist" formerly known as Kanye West says....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Jan 27, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I don't know who put Kanye in that genius category, but as far as MC's there are maybe five guys I would consider geniuses on the mic. Pac, BIG, Jay, Rakim and KRS-One (one could argue Nas also).

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I'd add Big Daddy Kane to that list, but I wouldn't bump anyone off it.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Kane was the man. Can't believe I forgot him, one might say Moe Dee also.

4. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

The best part about Lupe is that he didn't sell his soul to go mainstream. He stuck to his guns, singing about real stuff over solid beats with great lyrics.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Saw something about Lupe planning to put out a triple album and calling it a career? It was on Wikipedia, so it must be true. Anyone heard that?

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Full of himself, he is.
    Sort of cancels out a lot of the supposed "musical genius" aspect of the man

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

How so? Most musical geniuses are somewhat egotistical and fucked up.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I don't know what you're talking about.[/michaeljackson]

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I've always been interested in the way some artists try to change the game and end up looking silly or just killing their careers. I am a big fan of The Killers, but they are a band that does this, trying too hard to be "artistic" instead of just putting out good music. I guess it comes with being an artist, but it's annoying when it's a band you really like. Why can't they all be like AC/DC and put out the same solid record year after year after year after year ... ? ;D

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't care what he calls himself. That's his thing. All I know is that he's a very sincere guy and he provided me with one of the most awkward and comical videos of all time. I love how uneasy Mike Meyers and Chris Tucker look. Priceless.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

In my eyes, it does.
    I guess I should have clarified.
    When people take themselves too seriously, I usually wind up just distancing myself.
    The result in this case, I miss out on opportunities to witness "genius"

12. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Just laughed out loud very hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted