1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "artist" formerly known as Kanye West says....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Jan 27, 2009.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Kanye's the shit.

He's a bit unstable, true, but he's a musical genius and I don't really give a damn about anything besides that.

808s and Heartbreak is a mixed bag for me - I LOVED some of the tracks (namely "Paranoid" and "Amazing"), others fell flat, but the thing is I missed the most were his lush, expansive hip-hop beats. He relied on tribal drums for 808s.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

It's all about ego with him. He thinks he can do anything. That vocalizer shit makes me sick, so I'm glad a I avoided this album. And I am a big fan of Lupe Fiasco. I have both albums.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

If you want real Chicago rap listen to the entire catalog from Common.

Lupe is dope, but Common is unreal.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I sputter when people throw around the term "genius" and "Kanye" in the same sentence. Man, the bar for that distinction has been lowered so far of late that Verne Troyer would have problems limboing under it.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Lupe is amazing. Too bad he really didn't push mainstream until "The Cool."

6. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I wanted to pick up Common's latest album until I saw him and Cee-Lo perform on a tv show about a month ago. The title track is phenomenal, but whatever shit they performed on tv was horrendous. It was like he was covering a Beach Boys song or something.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

As much as I love hip-hop, there are very few artists that can carry off good live performances. I have been to shows by probably 25 different artists and maybe 5 were good. The Roots put on an amazing show arguably the best live group out, Outkast is damn good, Naughty By Nature can hype a crowd and Jay-Z can do his thing. I also saw the Lost Boyz when they came to a small club and they were very good.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You're absolutely correct about The Roots. Killer show.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

This SNL clip sums up Kanye at his finest away from the studio ... at least he could laugh at himself.

http://www.imeem.com/mixtapemessiahjr/video/MNAavW6W/snl_saturday_night_live_kanye_west_snl_skit_spoofing_hi/

10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The Roots are one of the best live BANDS, period.

Common is a Hall-of-Famer. Lupe is an up-and-comer.

Kanye just seems good, because the stuff coming out of the South ---- and right onto the radio ---- is god-awful, caucophonic, mindless, shallow, repetitive, substance-free tripe. By comparison, Kanye (talented but milquetoast lyricist) seems like The Low End Theory crossed with the last eight tracks of Black on Both Sides.

"Hip hop" should sue hip hop artists from about 2001 on for libel.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I forgot about Jurassic 5, they put on a helluva show. The Roots were great every time I saw them, I am up to eight now, and they are some of the most easygoing guys I have ever met. My buddy and I got to meet them and Black Thought was so cool to talk to.

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Damn, guys. The Roots are my favorite band (by far), and I haven't yet had a chance to see them live. As I said on another thread, if any of you don't have Jay-Z's "Unplugged" album, with The Roots as the backing band, go buy it now.
    I haven't gotten too much into Common, although "The Corner" is one of my favorite songs and I own that album. Also love Lupe and Jurassic 5.
    Kanye makes good music, but is not a great MC. As happens with a lot of these "geniuses" (and he's not), they try so hard to make the next big thing that they get away from what they're good at. I'm all about artists taking chances, but some of this stuff is just not good.

Draft saved Draft deleted