1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Art of Hiring a Football Coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 24, 2012.

1. The Seattle Times did a great job with this, talking to some PAC 12 ADs about the behind-the-scenes of hiring a coach ...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/cougarfootball/2018041576_coaches22.html?prmid=head_main

It's also some great insight as to how names get out there ...

Thought this was telling ...

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My favorite coaching searches of all-time... (Probably because I didn't have to cover either...). This isn't counting guys who accepted jobs and then had to resign before they coached a single game because they lied on their resume or frequented strip clubs.

Gruden to the Bucs. - Depending on who which story you believe, they had Parcells signed and he backed out. There were a couple others who were on the verge of getting the job and then it came out that they were going to trade picks to San Fran for Mariucci. One of the papers reported that Mariucci was a lock. Then the next day, Gruden got the job.

Saban to Alabama - Rich Rodriguez had told multiple members of the media that he had accepted the job, then backed out. The former South Florida coach and a bunch of other mediocre coaches turned them down, then the PB Post (Greg Bedard) came out of nowhere and reported that Saban was leaving the Dolphins to take an insane contract from Bama. The numbers Bedard reported were so ridiculous that there was no way it could have been true and Saban denied it so many times and every report that came out on ESPN tried to distance itself from the crazy PB report.

Then, every bit of what Bedard had written was 100 percent true. I don't know if I've ever seen a reporter beat up that much over a report that was proven to be so spot on. I know Greg and I was scared shitless for him and I could not have been happier for him when he was right.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Chris Sheridan just prepared a libel suit and he doesn't know why.

4. Mizzougrad96

What are you referring to?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/84417/

6. Mizzougrad96

The difference is, when Sheridan wrote that, a lot of people thought he was right.

When Bedard wrote that Saban was going to leave the Dolphins for the Bama job, nobody thought he was right.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It was a joke. I'll move along.

Excellent work by Bud Withers, for what it's worth.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Evil. Good job by Bud Withers. He got some great insights, especially from Moos and both Byrnes. I believe Bud was one of the first -- if not the first -- people reporting Leach was coming to WAZZU.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not to disparage the excellent reporting in this story, but the "art" of hiring a coach seems to consist of being willing to hire a coach quite rightly regarded as carrying more baggage than Norwegian Cruise Lines by everybody else.
    If there was a bidding war for Rodriguez, it didn't make the media.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Rick Reilly was pilloried over his Jordan comeback piece.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2001/03/13/life_of_reilly/

http://a.espncdn.com/nba/columns/may/1154616.html

11. Mizzougrad96

I'd forgotten about that one... Nice pull...

Draft saved Draft deleted