1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The appeal of scary movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, May 3, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I'm not saying horror doesn't appeal to many people. I just don't get why.

Some of the arguments made help let me know, but I still don't truly get it.

Then again, I love a good sad movie, and some of my friends can't understand.

Like my favorite Italian dish, toeachizone.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Hard to explain why I love scary movies. I saw "Halloween" for the first time when I was a junior in college. My girlfriend was in tears she was so scared, and I had nightmares about Michael Myers for a couple nights. Scariest fucking movie I've ever seen, and I loved it.

Watched several times, sometimes scary movies to me become funny. "The Shining" is an example. I can't help but laugh at the movie now. Jack Nicholson is so fucking crazy that it's funny, but not so much the first time.

The ending of "The Blair Witch Project" had me and my date so scared we didn't share a word on the way back to her place.

Again, for me, it's hard to explain why I love scary movies. I guess it's the element of surprise, not knowing who's next.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think part of it is that you can explore your basest fears in complete safety.

For me, I don't rattle very easily, so when I see a movie that truly creeps/freaks me out/scares me, it's a feeling I don't get to experience very often. And once again, I'm getting to do it without needing to actually have a homicidal maniac trying to gut me from groin to gullet.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Speaking of scary movies, Police Academy is on Comedy Central. What kind of bastard spawn of Satan allowed this movie to be made and the subsequent suckfests?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you, GBNF. I see virtually no appeal to horror/slasher pics.

Well, there is one appeal: Most of them include nubile teenage girls as the victims. And on occasion, they shed some thread for a scene with their boyfriend before meeting their untimely death.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't like them either, but it gives you the excuse to cuddle up next to someone and squeeze them when things get scary.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Adam Sandler is the reason I eat Subway sandwiches.

I'm not one for horror flicks. I saw The Exorcist, and it was good; I liked it. But I only watched, for the first time three years ago, because my friend was appalled that I hadn't seen it. I worked the desk in my dorm, and he was my GA, so he sat me down while I was on duty, and we watched it.

I'm much more a comedy guy, and while the suspense is sometimes fun for me, I'd rather laugh for two hours than be on the edge of my seat, anticipating the fear factor of the next scene.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I look at this like GBNF, for the most part. The final scene of "Carrie," well, that got me. And I guess the difference between me and a horror fan is, they really dig that feeling. I don't think I did.

Now, my wife ... she gets it. She absolutely craves horror flicks.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If you're good, you don't need a reason to cuddle with someone. ;)

10. The appeal is the release of adrenaline when you are scared. Virtually no other type of movie does that.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Especially when you pay them :)

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I consider myself a film snob in some ways, yet am thrilled by many horror movies -- especially those with heavy cheese factor. I enjoyed Saw I and II because of this, and also the recent Prom Night.

Now, movies like Hostel -- with over the top, gratuitous gore, those aren't my cup of tea.

Draft saved Draft deleted