1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the apocalypse is upon us, errr me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bertol,

Make it work for you.

Your "random" choices could just happen to come from the Babes of Podunk calendar or maybe the local beer joint proprietor would like some pub and would be grateful.

Randomness doesn't have to be so random.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

This reminds me of one of my old J-school professors, who told us that everyone has a story. And that's true, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good story or one that anyone want's to hear, much less read.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's a decent (if not terribly unique) idea, but it sounds like it's being pursued for the wrong reasons (people will read us if they know the person being written about!)

I discussed this with an aunt one time, who thought her small-town paper's sports section should focus on little league baseball and other kids sports. Big profiles on all the little kids. Not coincidentally, she knew some kids she wanted to read about. I asked her whether she'd read sports if the big feature was on some kid she didn't know. She wouldn't.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Without getting too Poynter about this, at a time of historic cutbacks in news-gathering resources that continue to compromise the role of the newspaper as watchdog, this idea makes little sense.

5. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Thank you, thank you. You're a great audience. I'll be here all week.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

This note is for the former editor at the Wichita Eagle:

For 25 years, BTK was just a phone call away.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The call is coming from inside the house!

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If I had to do one of these, somehow my finger would "accidentally" find the local Mike Hunt, so at least the readers could have a good laugh while they read about some schlep they never gave a shit about to begin with.

9. bp6316

bp6316 Member

This is by no means a new idea in newspapers, it's been done for some 30 or 40 years probably.

It's a great way to connect with your community and by no means replaces any hard-hitting stuff. It just gives people a chance to see who is in their community and to connect with each other.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it if you have the staff power to put into it.

And if you think there is, ask all the papers that are getting rave reviews for doing varying degrees of Citizen Journalism stuff.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Even better, have a "citizen journalist" do the random interview so they can more quickly connect with their community.

"Citizen journalist."

I think I'll become a "citizen brain surgeon."

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

ha ha. better yet, find the local "i.p. freely" ;D ;)

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Well put.

Draft saved Draft deleted