1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the apocalypse is upon us, errr me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Mar 29, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I don't know how much I can reveal without outing myself but here is a new idea posed by my newspaper — I'm figuring it's been handed down from uppers.

The idea is we randomly select a person from the phone book and do a feature on them.

This is not a joke.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I didn't do it this year, but for the 2 years before I randomly called people in the phone book for Super Bowl predictions. It turned out pretty good.

3. The real news is going to cover itself, heh?

4. Songbird

Well, if you worked in Roswell you'd be stuck doing the Monday feature.

Do. Not. Monday. Feature!

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Washington Post Style section?

6. John

John Well-Known Member

See, I could actually get into doing something like that.

In the shrinking world of newspapers, however, I'm not sure it's a good idea.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I'm curious? How does this work?

Do you call them?

Or do you scope out their address, knock on the door, and
    hold up a sign that says: "Please open, I'm not Mormon?"

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

1 point. If you get lucky doing that it could be a hell of a story. It has to be taken as an odd ball direction.

I once worked at a place that the publisher had a fixation on bowling. INstead of covering a minor league game, he wanted us to go to the local lanes and do stories on those people. this was a daily newspaper mind you.

9. Songbird

Call 'em up and go:

"Have you checked the children? Just kidding! I'm Joe Cockamamey from the Daily Jism, and I'm calling because we want to do a feature story on you. Yeah, we just opened the phone book and picked your name. Sooooo, have you done, like, any stuff?"

10. This idea is horrendous on so many levels. By picking up the phonebook your newspaper is basically giving up, admitting that it can't or won't try and find the people who are actually making news. Crap News: Why do the reporting when we can let our fingers do the walking ...

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

"Hi, I'm calling from the Podunk Times, and we want YOUR story!!!"

"That's great, but I don't have a story."

"No Sir, everybody has a story."

"Not me."

"C'mon, yes you do ..."

"OK, I eat my own shit. Are you happy?"

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Seems to me this would cause you to do quite a bit of leg work for little return.

But on the flipside, as the saying goes, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

Draft saved Draft deleted