1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the apocalypse has arrived in the form of anna niciole smith coverage!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

shockey, I'm with you on this one, brother. She's one of those people who is famous for being famous.

And I think, morbidly, that the country was hungry for a young celebrity death. So they pounced on this one.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

She was a human train wreck.

The whole marriage to the 91 year old thing was about as lurid as you can get.

And then there ws Playboy.

And then the guy died.

And then there was the messy court stuff.

I mean, it's an eye-popping story for people who like to live vicariously.

Her life was sad.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And here's the wonderful kicker to this question.

Now, you have media outlets covering the coverage of this story as their hook to justify talking about Anna Nicole Smith in the first place. For example, I'm driving to work this morning and listening to the all-news blowtorch here in L.A. -- KNX -- for traffic reports.

They have Robert Thompson, the media and pop-culture critic and pundit from Syracuse U on. The topic? Why is the media covering this story the way they are? And Dave Williams, the anchor, admitted this was their hook for talking about it and the reason Thompson was there.

At that point, it becomes a media, tail-chasing, circle-jerk: "We're covering the coverage of this so we can cover it...."

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bingo. Good points.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

If Zsa Zsa's prince husband actually turned out to be Anna Nicole's baby's father that would make the baby Paris Hilton's aunt. Really.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes, we must go back to the good old days, when newsgathering was RESPONSIBLE.

[​IMG]

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I am afraid at the rate things are going, Anna Nicole and Ted Williams will soon be cryo-roommates.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

"Rex, what are your thoughts about the criticism you've endured this year?"

"Nick, can you comment on how much the media has been speculating about a possible jump to Alabama?"

We do it all. the. time.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would comment, but I'm not in my right mind. Your exacting standards are irksome.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Tonight, on Schadenfreude Live !!

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One of the strangest things about Anna was that creepy lawyer-boytoy-sponger-slacker-husband of hers -- Howard K. Stern.

Seriously, the guy is with seemingly 24 hours a day and now within a couple months two people are dead -- probably ODs?

Maybe Howard, the alleged father of the little inheritant was getting rid of his rivals for a court settlement.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Stern was her companion/attorney. From all reports, they never wed, but we're planning to this month.

Draft saved Draft deleted