1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the apocalypse has arrived in the form of anna niciole smith coverage!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Feb 9, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

what am i missing here about the significance of anna nicole smith's death? i mean, she was insignificant in life. this era's marilyn monroe? to whom?

no talent, trailer-park morons are a dime a dozen. she wasn't an actress of any note. she married a rich old guy. wtf?

she's topic "a" of how civilization has deteriorated. a creation of "entertainment tonight" and all the dreadful shows of its ilk. the "people" magazines and all the rags of its ilk. the cnn's, msnbc's and other cable networks of their ilk.

AARRGGHH!!

anyone in their right mind disagree?

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Re: the apocalypse has arrived!!

That's a lot of ilk.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Shockey -- 24-hour cable news cycle gets some blame here too. Lotta time to fill. Low budget. Don't want to pay for any actual reporting when you get the same 0.7 rating whether you have her bloated face on TV or a something of actual merit.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Agreed, but on a different angle.

If CNN, the Enquirer and ET had existed in the 50s, Marilyn Monroe would not nearly have been as glamorized as she was in the newsreels of the day.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

how do you figure that? she was a real movie star who was married to a huge baseball hero and renowned playwright. you're waaaaay off here.

she'd be angelina jolie. anna nicole? wtf??

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think he means that a 50s celebrity's dirty laundry would have never stayed private if CNN, Enquirer, etc. had existed back then.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Angelina Jolie, conversely, is no Marilyn Monroe.

Anna Nicole's nuttiness in the 50s would've been hidden from public view. So chances are she would've been Marilyn-like. That's what I'm saying. It's the times.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

um, she woulda been a marilyn wannabe. the '50s were littered with those.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you're in the media, why are you asking the question?

Edit: Same reason there are three separate threads on her here, I guess.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's my point. i've been in the media for almost 30 years, and i just don't get it. guess i AM a dinosaur.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Shockey, I'm probably older than anyone here (except Spinited) and I just think it's just the insatiable appetite for salacious gossip.

I don't think it was any different--cf the Richard Burton/Liz Taylor affair back in the 60's. It's just that it never lets up now. The competition for eyeballs is more fierce than every before.

Here's a sports comparable.

Thirty years ago, there were probably three print guys who showed up to Leafs practices if there was a story breaking. Now, it's four papers, 1/2 dozen radio stations, the three canadian sports channels and assorted hangers-on.

No one wants to be left out of the party and no one wants go go back to their office holding nothing but their dick in their hands.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

jr, my prehistoric brother -- i understand today's insatiable hunger for gossip. i get why brangelina and tomkat, etc., draw so much attention. agreed.

guess my issue goes back to this: i know why folks "gossip" or are intrigued by legit celebrities. always have been.

but what in tarnation put anna nicole smith into the stratosphere of celebrity to be worth all the buzz? seriously, i'm confounded by this. can anyone explain this phenomenon? she couldn't sing, wasn't a movie or tv star? wtf? i am absolutely stupefied on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted