1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The AP reports that Steve McNair's blood alcohol level was twice over the limit.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Jul 20, 2009.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If it explains why he was passed out on the couch at the time of the assault, it's newsworthy. I repeat: It's no more than a brief in any newspaper that runs the wire story.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Considering the wire story WAS a brief, I can't argue with that logic.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

SI True Crime? The true crime is how little time they spent brainstorming an original series name.

sgreenwell and OscarMadison like this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The "true crime" genre, whether it's a podcast, or Dateline piece always makes me queasy, particularly when you are adding production elements to enhance the drama. If the victim's family signs off on it? Okay - but it is odd when these things are produced more as entertainment than journalism.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Kind of my thoughts too. Some of the stories in the mag under the "True Crime" banner over the last year or two have been quite good and worth a 25-minute or so investment. But a nine-part podcast? I'll wait for someone to tell me (maybe here) that it lives up to that much listening time.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Dateline and 48 Hours often are ridiculous. Every show has to build up a narrative to suggest there is some real doubt or injustice in the case. Sometimes the last part of the episode reveals that the questions that were being teased were not that important or substantial. Other times if you happen to know the case outside of the show, you will realize the doubt the show is portraying wildly overblown.
    It's too bad because there is stuff to be learned from some of the cases, whether it is the existence of outright injustices or just the messiness of the whole process.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Or, listen to the first few minutes, then Google it to see how it turned out, then go watch something else on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.

Save 55 minutes of your life instead of commiting the true crime of killing 55 minutes of your own time.

exmediahack likes this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I was actually shocked at a Dateline last week - a big component of it was archive footage from an early 2000s episode, when a family member was interviewed in it and wrongly accused an ex-boyfriend of potentially being involved in his ex-girlfriend's death. Like, I suppose you have to acknowledge that you already did a (poor) episode on this story once, but it was weird to me that they did another episode as a result. (FWIW, it was this case: Tara Grinstead murder case - Wikipedia )

This SI podcast is intriguing to me, because they're known for proper journalism, for the most part. I'll probably give it a spin at some point. I wasn't aware there was any ambiguity in the McNair case.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

FWIW, my wife was the first person to interview the killer's family after the murder. The family wouldn't let anyone else into the house, including TV station reporters who showed up, so the national media picked up what she wrote.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted