1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the anti-Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Oct 26, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I wish I'd said that.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, as the great Steve Martin once said: "Some of us have a way with words, and some of us ... uh ... um ... no have way." ;)

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Shtick is a routine, as in a shopworn act. It's not praise.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

blogs don't do interviews - they sit on their butts and pontificate. sort of like you.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Thanks for the link. Great stuff. Apparently, Gene Wojciechowski -- one of my faves, BTW -- checks out the site every now and then...

Q. Is sportsjournalists.com helpful?

A. I read it once in awhile but the fact that it's anonymous bothers me. So I don't take it seriously. If they used their names you could have a dialogue.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Amusing. ;)

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guarantee that Woj is not taking seriously some people here who are way up from him on the prestige chain. Again, focus on the words, not the handles.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not to put too fine a point on it, Dooley, but really, there aren't very many in this biz who are "way up from" GW in terms of respect or where they're held in the pecking order or whatever.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I disagree, and to the sensitive folks, I'm not slamming him in that. I'm just saying there's a lot of good stuff he could get from here, if he didn't look down his nose at us.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, that last part is a different deal.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

21 always makes this point, and I think it's a good one, so I'll try to paraphrase it here for Gene if he just so happens to be reading:

The fact that this site is anonymous is what allows it to thrive. And what makes it absolutely engaging when it comes to a variety of subjects. And it also makes it the most democratic exchange of ideas we can possibly have. Words, not resumes, matter. You don't know if you're arguing with a Pulitzer Prize winner, or a clerk at a 24,000 circulation weekly. You don't have to worry about whether a potential boss is going to hold a grudge for some innocuous comment you made about his high school football tab, or about George Bush's foreign policy approach. Yes, people abuse the cloak of anonymity, but for the most part, we do a pretty good job policing ourselves. You can't post naked pics. You can't say, I hear so-and-so is fucking so-and-so and that's how he/she gets all their stories. You can't really pimp your friends (or your own) stuff from bumfuck because you will be mercilessly taunted by the regulars here, who will sniff you out and call you a fraud in about three seconds. You choose how much you want to reveal about yourself, and you want to be Jason Whitlock, Michelle Kaufman, Chris Jones or Dave Kindred, awesome. We give their opinions more (or less) weight accordingly. But if we all used our names, this place would have about 11 posts per day. Plus, one of the most enjoyable parts of my time on here is watching no talent assclowns scream and rant and mutherfuck people who are legends in this business, but choose to remain anonymous to most of us, and then watch that same assclown praise that legendary writer on another thread and talk about how they're "one of my heroes." Cracks me up every time.

C'mon Woj. Join the party. You might learn something. Plus, the leeches out there who whine about the content on this site, yet don't register, don't post and just lurk, are beyond lame. It's like bitching about the president, but then confessing that you didn't even vote because it's beneath you.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Thank you, DD. You da man.

Signed,
    Anonymous ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted