1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the anti-Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Powell's interview ought to be required reading for everybody in our business.

Marantz is doing a good thing with that Sports Media Guide. It's kind of a mini-"No Cheering in the Press Box."

2. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I second that emotion. Well said, SF.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Haven't you figured it out yet? This site is kind of like a virtual office.

Doesn't matter what your business does, the office is filled with backbiting, jealousy, rumours, and ripping down others so you can look better. This one is sleeping with the boss. That one is kissing the boss's behind. That's why they're getting promoted. It's rarely on people's own merits. And, sometimes, it's true.

Newspapers are notoriously bad places for this kind of stuff. It's one reason I'm thankful I only have to go in to have lunch with my boss or drop off my expenses. Nearly every time I stop in in the evening, the deskers are ripping the crap copy turned in by some of our writers. Or bitching about the photo department. Or something else. And I'm told it's the same thing in the other areas of the newspaper.

My lack of exposure to that is probably why I have such a positive, sunny attitude. :)

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What is the point of this? This one black guy writes one way, and that black guy writes another way you don't like as much, but because they're both black that creates a basis for comparison?

I would hope that every columnist with a voice is anti-every-other-columnist-with-a-voice. It's called being distinctive. Dave Kindred is the anti-whitlock, Selena Roberts is the anti-Mariotti, whitlock is the anti-Plaschke, Simers is the anti-Sally Jenkins. Duh.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As usual, SF chimes in as the voice of intelligence and reason.

That's actually a really cool website for industry wonks like us. Lot of good interviews there.

Dave Kindred with a great interview there as well.

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/09152006-DaveKindred.html

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good, there still is a reason to visit this site. Excellent, excellent, excellent post.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wow. What a great site that is. Thanks for the link, DD, et al.

8. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

I respect Shaun Powell the person and the writer. Whereas, I don't respect jason at all.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That is a very good point. I had not thought to factor your personal opinions about each writer's character into this discussion.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There are all sorts of voices in this business, there are readerships (both those who like and those who hate) for every one of them -- running the gamut from Dave Anderson to Scoop Jackson -- and I have yet to hear of a person who was permanently disfigured by an opinion or the style in which it is expressed.

Editors need to be open to providing forums to new ideas and styles and people of all ethnic and social and gender backgrounds, and somebody who refuses to allow somebody to speak to this demographic or because he or she doesn't talk or think that way is simply limiting his or her readership in the most competitive time in media history.

A lot of crap on here lately criticizing people who are getting or already have great opportunities is jealousy, no matter how hard they try to deny it.

Columnists you like and those who don't is a personal thing, and why people get so bent out of shape over the ones they don't like is a complete mystery.

;D

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Great post.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just don't know why there hasn't been a thread before now which says it.

Draft saved Draft deleted