1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The anti-Boldin: Why doesn't ESPN do this story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Anquan Boldin: 3 Pro Bowls, 1 Super Bowl, 0 Super Bowl wins.
    Willie Parker: 2 Pro Bowls, 2 Super Bowls, 2 Super Bowl wins.
    The only huge difference I see in their accomplishments is in championships.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

And what I see here is you blurring the lines of team success and individual merit.

I bet you'd be the type to believe that Robert Horry would have more right to fight for a huge contract over Lebron James since.

Horry: 5 championships, 5 wins
    Lebron: 1 championship, 0 wins

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The premise of this thread is ridiculous. Steeler honours contract, big Fucking Deal. Should we have a running thread of every player that is honouring their contract. A player, I might add who is coming off a shitty year and has no leverage.

Phillip Rivers is reporting to training camp. Someone start a thread.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is because you are taking a ridiculously shallow look at them.

That said, the comparisons to Timmy Smith and Larry Brown are equally ridiculous. Parker was an elite back for three years. He is still a decent one. Chee's suggestion that he can't run between the tackles shows he really hasn't watched Parker much.

Right now, however, he's not in Boldin's class.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Parker was still a one dimensional back several years ago. Countering the simple example given with other simple examples only proves that the initial point was shit to begin with.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

What exactly is a "one-dimensional" back?
    Do you mean his one dimension is forward?
    Dude led the league in 100-yard games two years straight. How does that make a back "one-dimensional"?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Twoback, please tell me what other choice Parker had than to report and not hold out. He's coming off a year where he didn't rush for even 800 yards. Do you honestly believe that he would have reported if he had had a great year?

8. outofplace

The original point was shit. Read the thread. I've been saying the same thing.

I didn't argue one-dimensional, either. I assume you mean he can only run, but can't catch or block, which has always been true.

The part about not being able to run inside, however, is incorrect. So were the comparisons to Smith and Brown, who each had only one game in which they were worth a damn, not three full seasons.

9. outofplace

One dimensional means he can't do anything but run with the ball. Parker is a terrible receiver, which limits their offense. That should have become very clear to you after seeing them with Moore at tailback so much this year. He isn't a particularly good blocker, either, so he's pretty much useless when they throw.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Nah....I believe he's a limited because most of his effectiveness as a RB is when he runs outside the tackles and when forced to run between the tackles, he's ineffective. His style almost cost the Steelers a safety in the super bowl (which happened on the next play). I've never been a big fan of him. He ran through holes that 90% of most NFL running backs in the league would have gotten through.

Either way, it's outright dumb to blur the lines of a teams success to the individual accomplishments of one player, especially in a sport like football.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Actually, yes.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Jerome Bettis also couldn't catch, and never was asked to block.
    He'll be in the HOF someday.
    The one-dimensional taunts are moronic.
    And, for the record, Parker had 31 catches in 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.