1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The anti-Boldin: Why doesn't ESPN do this story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09122/967256-66.stm

Willie Parker is in the final year of his contract, but showed up for mini-camp and is looking forward to the 2009 season.
    Isn't that enough of a departure to be worthy of a spot on SportsCenter? Or do they only cover the dillweeds?

"That will take care of itself," he said of his contract situation. "The Steelers gave me a chance and I am proud and happy to be a Steeler. That's all I can say about that. Whatever happens, happens. As of right now, I am just getting ready for this season and have to make the best of it."

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Probably worth a quick little blurb, but it's not worth a big story.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And that ... is the sad thing.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What's the story?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wow, do you ever drink the Steeler kool aid. How is this even remotely a national story.

Lets look at his stats last year 791 yds, 3.8 per carry and injured. I would say he had no choice but to show up to camp, not much leverage there.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wait a minute ... you mean a guy under contract showed up at mini-camp?
    Holy shit! Stop the freaking presses!

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Willie Parker is going to have a tough enough time staying on the team in 2010, forget about getting a new contract. Look at his YPC, it has dropped with every year of wear and tear, and the Steelers are on a constant search for a guy who can actually carry the ball over the goal line. This is 0 percent like the Boldin situation.

8. The slurping and burping is strong with Twoback.

9. Notepad

Notepad Member

Local story, not a national story.
    I don't know how others feel on this board, but Ed Bouchette has always struck me as a damn solid beat guy.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Pittsburgh Man Fulfills Obligations of Legal Contract

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

How is Anquan Boldin an everyday story, then?
    Every single day.
    Every single day.
    Dude's the second-best receiver on his team, and it never ends.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

because there is actually a story there. Overkill, probably but no more than anything else ESPN does.Teams have been trying to aquire Boldin. Have teams been trying to aquire Parker. Whats the story in a running back coming to camp who is under contract. A running back who has no leverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.