1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Announcement--ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Mar 12, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If it could be proven that Magic misled people as too how he contracted the disease, wouldn't that be newsworthy?

I don't know how he got it. And, since we don't know, I think it is an open question as to whether he got it through heterosexual contact with a woman.

And, oddly, I'm pretty sure Drip was on the very opposite side of this discussion -- emotionally so, too -- in a previous thread.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

In college I took a class called HIV/AIDS: Impact of the Epidemic. In that class was a guy who would be taking the court with Magic Johnson-- and this was probably within a year of Magic's announcement. So this fella was concerned. He asked the professor-- could he get AIDS mixing sweat with Magic Johnson?

The answer was an absolute (and gently assuring) NO.

The professor was qualified to answer. Her doctorate was in nursing, and she'd worked for Koop.

It was one of those hold-nothing-back kind of classes. Everything was asked. I asked if Magic and Cookie would be able to have sex anymore. (Answer: "Variations on a theme.") I'll never forget that quote.

So eventually the topic gets around to WHY exactly gay men are at particular risk for this. Answer: Anal sex. WHY does anal sex spread AIDS? The answer was that the anus is very-- and I'll never forget the use of this word-- "friable." It bleeds. Easily and alot.

So the question was then posed, would HETERO couples who engage in a lot of anal sex be at high risk-- the same high risk as gay couples? Answer: Yes.

It may strike many of you as ironic, that the poster who once bragged of 'backdoor' exploits, would in fact, be putting himself in the same sort of harms way that Magic might have. Should we question our poster's orientation?

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'll tell you why it matters how Magic was infected by HIV. Because 25 years later, young boys are still being tormented for being gay, and they still live in a world where they can not grow up to marry the ones they love.

As long as superstars remain closeted homosexuals or bisexuals, the longer society allows a stigma to be attached to being gay.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mistake, I don't find your question amusing.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

By saying it matters, because he may have gotten it through homosexual contact, then we're also saying "Oh, whew! It's not REALLY a heterosexual disease! Whhhooooo!"

Magic's message was that anyone is a potential victim of HIV. If it were revealed that he contracted it through homosexual contact, that would not end bullying. It would increase it.

If it were revealed that the first extremely famous person who contracted HIV through heterosexual contact actually caught it through the "traditional" ways that society assured itself were the ONLY way to get HIV, that would re-stigmatize the disease as being restricted to a certain segment of the population.

So no, it doesn't matter how Magic got it. He says he had a lot of women, that's a more than reasonable explanation for one of the biggest NBA stars of all time, playing in that market. Regarding the incredibly minute chance that is a fiction, I just don't care.

He got HIV. That helped change the way we perceive the disease. To seek for it to be "revealed!!!" that Magic contracted HIV through homosexual contact, is to seek to erase two decades of progress and understanding.

Nope.

Greater good.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Why is there still dispute over how he contracted it? The guy was obviously with numerous sexual partners, and that is clearly a high-risk activity. So he's lying about that? Seems people are just wanting to find out if Magic is really GAY!!! OMG!

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Why do we, the public, want to know anything about anyone then? Why question anything about celebrities? I don't care either way, but I think it's fairly relevant. And to say different is foolish.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

When Magic announced that he "attained" HIV, we all thought he would be dead in less than a decade. And that was the most optimistic projection.

Yet, 20 years later he's still alive! How do we know he had HIV in the FIRST PLACE?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

INVESTIGATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOURNALISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RELEVANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUESTION CELEBRITIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I can't believe this conversation's being had in 2012.

Who the F cares if he got it from homosexual sex, from anal sex with a woman, from missionary style hetro sex. I mean, who the F cares?!?

Somebody please tell me how much longer this 'gay' fixation is going to last. Please wake me when this shit is OVER.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Word

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree 100 percent with this.

Draft saved Draft deleted