1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Announcement--ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I really liked the Ricky Williams one. Gave such an inside perspective to a really strange man.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Yep, very true indeed! So glad I was able to catch Freddie Mercury fronting Queen the last time they were on tour a couple years back.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The Two Escobars and Dupree were easily the best. There have been several other very, very good ones. This one fell flat for me. And I think it was definitely stated that the woman was Nelson George's sister. I doubt the young girl who is in her 20s now is real real real real real rich, either.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I didn't see the whole thing (switched over to The Walking Dead because I just couldn't wait anymore).

The early part of the AIDS epidemic were hard to watch. When they showed rednecks screaming at Ryan White, I cried. Same when they showed the early victims of AIDS, especially the one man who was on the verge of death and looked like a skeleton being helped to stand. And of course the little girl -- forget it. Empty box of tissues.

The scenes that got me with Magic were a little simpler. His decision to call people individually, the players being pulled out of practice, his brother taking time off work to deal with the comments.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

I thought that having Magic narrate this made it work. If you had some booming announcer voice-over (I know Charlton Heston and John Facenda are dead, but those are the people who come to mind), some of the authenticity would be lost.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I thought for sure this thread was about Erin Andrews' leaving ESPN:

http://tweetscenter.com/erin-andrews-leaving-espn/11572/

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

My favorite is the one with Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic. So emotional, and well done.

8. What about musicians, as well?

What, a handful that contracted AIDs ... Freddie Mercury is the only one I can recall off the top of my head.

9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Arthur Ashe

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Eazy E
    Liberace
    Robin Crosby (RATT guitarist)
    Tom Fogerty from CCR
    Ricky Wilson from the B-52s
    David Cole from C+C Music Factory

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Holly Johnson (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
    Andy Bell (Erasure)
    Gil-Scott Herron

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Had one of my best friends diagnosed the day of the Announcement. He died in less than 2 years after that day. We once talked about it and he said the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted