1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the andre dawson hypothetical

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe_schmoe, Aug 1, 2006.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

suppose utley continues this streak, and makes it to 57, yet the phillies continue to ride close to the cellar. Considering the stats Utley has already put up...

Do you, if you had a vote, vote for him for MVP?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Albert Pujols or someone on the Mets has the NL MVP wrapped up. And no way Utley gets to 57. Way too much pressure.

3. Especially with him being in Philly. No way

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Howard's more valuable than Utley, but he'll definitely get votes for being in the top 10.

Right now, I'd say Beltran's the MVP over Pujols with Wright and Soriano nipping at the heels.

5. KP

KP Active Member

No way, unless you have a grudge against Pujols and Beltran.
    Like the others, there's no way he gets it.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I know you're saying "if," but there will be a point (if it gets to Pete Rose / Wee Willie Keeler territory) where Utley will ground out in the first inning and draw 4 intentional passes to end the streak.

Joltin' Joe is safe ... and so is Phat Albert.

7. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I was going to rip you for even suggesting Utley for MVP, but then I got a look at his numbers.

If Utley continues on his current pace, he could finish around .330 with 30 HR, 40 doubles, 110 runs and 100 RBI. Add a 57-game hitting streak and I think we might have something.

That being said, do you know what Rose's 44-game hitting streak got him in 1978? An 11th-place finish in the MVP voting. Rose didn't come close to Utley's power numbers though (.,302, 7 HR, 52 RBI).

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

No love for Jose Reyes? I get that Wright's probably the better choice, but many Mets think Reyes is their MVP.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Pujols shouldn't get it if St. Louis doesn't win the Central -- and considering they recent play, don't assume that they'll win the division.

Not sure one player really stands out on the Mets.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I'm sorry, reading most of the answer I think the hypothetical part of my question was lost in translation.
    1. I know right now Pujols among others are the top MVP candidates.
    2. I know Utley probably won't continue the streak, due to the pressure (then again, a lot of people said the same thing of topping Maris' 61 and then the 70 HR season, so you never know)

My question isn't who is the MVP, my question is if you had a vote, and he breaks the record, despited the sucky Phillies...do you consider voting for him?

Thank you for looking at his stats. I've heard several people give the blanket suggestion that Howard is the Phillies MVP, leading the league in HRs and 4th in RBI. Who the heck do they think he's driving in? And imagine how many more runs Utley would have if Howard also weren't second in the league in strikeouts.

Again, this is a hypothetical question. Personally, right now I'd probably vote for Pujols as well, but if Utley gets this streak, he definetly deserves recognition.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Ryan Howard is batting .284, slugging .609 and on pace to hit 55 HRs and drive in 137 -- and you're bitching about his strikeouts.  ::)

As for MVP, I'd say it's Beltran vs. Pujols at this point.

But, as spnited would remind us all, it's still early.

12. Utley isn't even 60 percent of the way to the record. It's possible we our getting just a tad ahead of ourselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted